Any tips on buying a wysteria for front of house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We live in London and would like to get a wysteria to grow on the front of the house.

We have a SW facing house. It's a sheltered but sunny (on occasion) front.

We had one before but I bought it from B&Q when it was only a few inches high. It flourished for years but never flowered. It was planted in the ground. Then one year it just died, we don't really know why, but we did have a few drain problems caused a few doors up the street.

We'd like to replace it. I've researched a bit and found that I should've bought an established flowering plant. We've budged about £100 to £200 so we can get a fairly established one and a pot if necessary. We like the idea of the pot as it would look nice and I thought I could raise it slightly to protect the roots from bad water.

I don't drive so it would have to be delivered.

Does anyone have any tips? Like in the ground or in a pot? Is now an ok time to plant it? Any good nurseries that could give advice or deliver?

That sort of thing...

Sponsored Links
I am interested in the same.
I inherited a wysteria in a tub from my mum - every year it grows a bit but is still tiny and doesn't flower.
south facing.

I had a look at that site earlier but it's american and recommends the native american variety. And didn't notice anything about pots.

Also I was interested in more local delivery services.

But thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
There's good pruning tips on that site though, but it's getting the right species for London, pot or ground and how to get things started with that I'm really interested in.

Thanks

Most definitely NOT in a pot Wisteria is very vigorous growing to up to 100ft in the wild.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back