Any tricks for getting 3/4" pipe to seal well in a 22mm compression fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well, I made the mistake of thinking we had 22mm feeding the taps in our bath when I came to change them - measured the OD before, basically 22mm, thought "OK" - lesson now learnt on difference between 3/4" and 22mm :) .

Anyway, I need to connect a 22m compression flexi to a (now cut down) 3/4" pipe. At the moment I've got a very slightly weeping connection with a 22mm olive, some compound and a bit of PTFE tape - a bodge (don't like using PTFE at all, really) and it needed to be tightened what feels unnaturally hard to get that. I tried a brass 3/4" olive, but that didn't seal well at all.

Would a copper 3/4" olive be better, or are there any standard tricks of the trade to get a good fit for 3/4" pipe in a 22mm compression fitting?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
most merchants stock 3/4 brass olives not copper .
but a 22mm copper olive should be perfectly ok never had a problem getting them to seal

Thanks for the replies.
I did consider a 22mm to 3/4" compression fitting, but then they look like they're basically a 22mm coupler with a 22mm olive one end and a 3/4" olive the other? If so, I guess that's half of what I'm trying to do with the flexi anyway.
I'll give a 3/4" copper olive a go first then - if that doesn't work, try again with a 22mm copper.

You could always Google imperial olives, gives a little more choice.

Yeah, I had already found some 3/4" copper olives on Ebay and ordered a couple - £1 each! I guess there's not so much call for them, these days.
I guess I was just wondering whether there was a trick to this or not with brass 22mm or 3/4" olives on 3/4" pipe. My usual way of getting the getting the fitting "a bit" tight, until it bites, and then just nipping up slightly if need be with the water on, was definitely a no go with with the 3/4" olive and only just there (with a weep) with the 22mm, some PTFE and more tightening than should be needed.
Will see how copper olives go.

Old Imperial copper pipes have a much thicker wall than current 22 mm. Using a 3/4 olive is correct ,but you may not be tightening up enough. A sure sign is the olive coming off the pipe quite easily ,after finding the joint leaked ,take apart and see if the 3/4 olive can easily be removed from the pipe. If it can ,you are not tightening up enough.

Get a roll of gas PTFE tape at the same time, couple of warps of that on a 22>3/4" copper olive should sort it out.

That being said I will always solder on a conversion coupler with a small piece of 22mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back