Anybody else in Lancashire got smelly tap water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been like this for over a year now; the tap water stinks of chlorine but not straight chlorine as in a swimming pool; it's a dirty sweaty smell. We've had UU out and they took about half a dozen samples in different jars and, predictably, came back and reported "nothing wrong" then had the cheek to send me an anti-backflow valve for the washing machine!

....and before you ask, my pal's water about fifteen doors up the road tastes the same. It comes from a reservoir at the top of a hill in a place called Ramsgreave, half a mile west from Ramsgreave & Wipshire railway station.

What's going on? Any insider info?

Sponsored Links
Get it tested independently at a cost, which you should be able to recover if there's a problem.

There's no need to pay. The have to show you the results of their tests, if you ask.

Sponsored Links
Ha ah, they did and there was nothing. I work in the chemicals industry and I know how easy it is to hide or forget things you don't necessarily want people to know.

Our tap water used to be delicious, albeit with a slightly "muddy" smell at times, which I took as coming from the reservoir. Maybe someone complained about that and they've turned up the chlorine tap?

Interestingly that covered reservor at the top of our nearby hill has recently been equipped with massive 20' fences topped with barbed wire and TV cameras at each corner facing both ways, at least 8 cameras. Do they know something that's worrying them?

The reservoir you mention, is it a reservoir or a cistern/ clear water tank?

Look on the bright side, you could be in London and drinking recycled-sewage,

Recent research suggested that water extracted from the Thames has probably been through five people before coming out of the tap.

That's a cistern/ tank/CWT, it will be supplied from a treatment works, which in turn will be supplied from a reservoir, river or even ground water supply.
I'm not familiar with the area but, sometimes the water company has to switch supply, say from the river to the reservoir. This change is detectable to our senses so people call in saying the water is funny. It will still meet all the parameters though.

Look on the bright side, you could be in London and drinking recycled-sewage,

Recent research suggested that water extracted from the Thames has probably been through five people before coming out of the tap.

I think you mean 45 people!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back