Anyone able to identify these two birds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the quality of this pic - it was taken on a Samsung phone albeit with the telephoto option.
Presumably you can enlarge pic at expense of resolution.

This pair were spotted in the garden yesterday evening. I noticed the smaller one (on the left) first, as it was on its own checking out the grass. I thought, at first, that it was just a large blackbird but it has a different shaped beak. Then the second bird (right) flew down from somewhere to join it. I imagine they are a pair.

Any suggestions kindly appreciated. Adverse comments about the bench, not.

20230608_183337.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A young Daw got stuck behind my old shed 12 years ago, trapped by the fence and the water butt at the far end, so i squeezed into the gap and managed to get hold of it after a kerfuffle of feathers and mild cursing; all the while mama and papa Daw were circling anxiously overhead, then their neighbours came to see what the fuss was about, then another and another, til about two dozen Daws were circling the garden, calling out to each other and probably warning me to be careful.
It was none the worse for wear when i let it go on the lawn and the crowd soon dispersed when all was once again well in their world but i found out that day just how close-knit their community is. Sometimes they'll roost on our chimney pot and enjoy the summer breezes at this time of year, keeping an eye out for Hawk or the magpies, who'll steal the eggs given half a chance.
Some of the people i work with would call your bench 'shabby chic': i like it. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back