Anyone identify this make of stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All! My rising main stopcock or stop valve has started weeping from the gland nut all of a sudden and after years of being OK. (house was built 40years ago) I've tried tentatively to tighten the gland nut, but the stop valve is twisting so I need to take some precautions 1st - especially as its a Bank Holiday - like maybe turning it off at the road first. Have taken some pics of it and wonder if anyone can identify the maker - there's a sort of scripted 'f'....see 1st pic. Also, the input pipe is plastic, about 21.5mm o/d. would that be a compression joint into the stop valve..... Thanks and Happy New Year to the forum members in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20221227_150227.jpg
    IMG_20221227_150227.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20221227_150131.jpg
    IMG_20221227_150131.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
At that age and size I would suggest the incoming supply is 1/2 in black alkathene.
If stoptap top head is completely shot I would replace just that.
The original stoptap will be made to BS 1010
The current 15mm stoptap made by Peglers has a head made to same standard.
The pegler stop tap is available at screwfix.

That symbol is Yorkshire, not sure if it’s an F for fitting, or a P for Pegler. Incoming if plastic might be black alkathene, but just get a tap same sized compression nut and swap if need be. Try undoing the gland nut first, then clean the spindle and apply some ptfe or loctite 55 thread to the thread and tighten back up.

Sponsored Links
When you say from the gland nut I assume you mean where the spindle goes through it?if so applying ptfe or loctite to thread will not solve the issue. If it is a leaking spindle close the valve,undo the spindle nut and slide to top end of handle, then get some small diameter cord with candle wax rubbed up and down it, wrap said cord 4 times around the spindle and then screw spindle nut back down pushing the cord down into the gland box which will then form a water seal. Some people wrap ptfe around the spindle instead of cord.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back