Anything I can grow here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The southern boundary of our garden is a large laurel hedge, 4m-5m high. It means a lot of our garden is in heavy shade all year round. The owner is finally going to cut it to 2.5m this autumn, but we will still be left with a good few meters of garden in heavy shade all year. The photo below is a bit of it.

1663424387964.png

I'd like to put raised beds in along the hedge to tidy it up a bit and we'd quite like to grow salad and herbs in the turfed area in the photo... but will anything grow in such heavy shade?
Any tips welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can grow herbs anywhere. I prefer pots for some, like Basil, and others i like to let loose, such as rosemary. If your garden is small i'd recommend pots because it makes them easy to maintain and if you get a variety of sizes/shapes and colours brings added interest to the area rather than a long slab of wood with soil in it.
Although a raised bed is better for veg as they need drainage and it makes them easier to plant out and harvest.

Watch what you plant in regards to herb. Some can spread like wildfire and take over. I let apple mint loose around the apple trees a few years ago and they've become an eco-system all of their own. The aroma is fantastic when you walk among them and the frogs love to hide out in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back