Applying tanking slurry without rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking of applying tanking slurry to the inside of my external garage to solve a penetrating damp problem. I have done what I can from the outside but unfortunately the layou means I cannot access 2 out of the 3 external walls from the outside.

I've been looking at Ka tankling slurry and Vandex bb75. Both of the application instructions suggest applying a 3:1 sand and cement render if applying to bricks.

My Garage is brick but having tried my hand at plastering and failing miserably I'm not very confident at my ability to render the walls. I feel more confident applying the tanking slurry with a brush which is both the instructions say is ok.

Has anyone got any experience/knowledge of applying tanking slurry directly to bricks? This garage is only a storage area so I don't mind having a go myself but don't really want to spend ££s getting a professional in as its only for storing some very low value items.

Do you think I could get away with applying tanking slurry directly to the bricks or would I be wasting my time and money and have it falling off in no time?

Cheers for any pointers anyone can give me.

Sponsored Links
Hi lostinthelight, I will but they aren't open right now ;) I was browsing diy disasters section just now and wondered if I would end up posting in there. So I thought I'd ask you helpful folk if you had any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lostinthelight, appreciate hearing about your experience. Its probably a good thing all the DIY sheds are closed now, impulsive DIY and me would be a whole other thread haha :)

Thanks for the link, I must be getting my wires crossed.

"Brick- and blockwork substrates Any remaining plaster, render or other substances that could inhibit bonding must be removed back to the substrate.

Implies to me that it would be alright straight on the brick

I think this is the link I read before https://static.safeguardeurope.com/...vandex/vandex-bb75-application-guidelines.pdf

"Unless the substrate is particularly sound the application of a render is recommended prior to application of Vandex BB75. Onto the pre-wetted walls (to control suction) apply nominal 10 mm thick 3:1 sand:cement render "

I'll give them a bell after the weekend to clear that up. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back