Are all 'fillers' pretty much the same

elrobbo,

to be fair, the dec seems to have far better knowledge base for products than yourself. Clearly because he is not afraid to experiment in order to achieve the "best results". He's clearly made a good point don't you think?

Sponsored Links
Tell me, are you lonely, has no one on the Electrics uk sub forum come out to play yet.

Dec

Sponsored Links
elrobbo,

to be fair, the dec seems to have far better knowledge base for products than yourself. Clearly because he is not afraid to experiment in order to achieve the "best results". He's clearly made a good point don't you think?

i'm not doubting that thedec has better product knowledge than myself! i never have. even though me and thedec don't see eye to eye i appreciate that his advice is of a high standard and has been beneficial to many.

Returning to the topic...

One of the reasons that i spend so much on RedDevil OneTime is because all of the powdered fillers that I have previously used rip the bags in my dust extractors.

Many of the (often cheaper) lightwieght fillers do not allow you to refill. By that I mean that if you do a fill, let it dry and then decide to fill over the top, when you sand it and eventually hit the original fill and seem to hit some kind of pva skin which rips slighty.

The cheaper brands also tend to over heat when using a DA sander. Unlike theDec I find that when covering large areas the RedDevil is not free flowing enough to fill without the need to refill or sand.

Whilst RedDevil is far more expensive the dust does not become statically charged and does not cling to everything, hence the shorter clean up time offsets the purchase costs.

Another advantage is that it is slightly flexible.

A downside is that it is not always easy to tell when it has dried fully

one of the cheapest suppliers

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXRMF4.html

Just as a final question, there are cracks between the wall and ceiling .. normally I just mix up a batch of filler, then using my finger only, squeeze the mixture into the corner, then follow up with a wet sponge to clean the excess. is this the best way, or should I be using decorators caulk from a tube.

thanks for any advice provided

Caulk is fine for straight hairline cracks but if the cracks are more substantial and wavy you may find that it shrinks back too much. In the latter case you would need to sand the plaster ripples first and then apply filler, sand that and seal with dilute paint before running a caulk bead.

My fav caulk is Everbuild 125, available from toolstation at a very good price. Sadly they seem to have twigged that the original 87p was way too cheap and the price has been increasing. Still cheaper than any of my suppliers

I am using Polycell one fill at the minute. It's ready mixed and light weight and doesn't shrink.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_one_fill_polyfilla.jsp

I tend to still apply two coats for a better finish. Depending on how bad the walls are, sometimes I will put this stuff on with a plastering float. This finish is really great but I do have quite a bit of plastering experience.

If the holes are too deep then I tend to use bonding and finish.

I use red devil one time for almost everything. And for normal cracks I use my wife's credit card to apply it. Either that or a plastic business card. May not look very pro but does the job for me. I get almost no waste because I fill flush and hardly need to sand
Just paid £18.00 inc vat for 4ltr tub

I like that, one thing if I may, I think i'll skip the application by credit card, for every time either of ours are exposed, it tends to cost me a great deal of money. ;)

Dec

I am using Polycell one fill at the minute. It's ready mixed and light weight and doesn't shrink.

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_one_fill_polyfilla.jsp

I tend to still apply two coats for a better finish. Depending on how bad the walls are, sometimes I will put this stuff on with a plastering float. This finish is really great but I do have quite a bit of plastering experience.

If the holes are too deep then I tend to use bonding and finish.

do you find that this product when dry is still soft and not the easiest to sand down? when i have used it i have found that i can push my nail into it. i tend fill deep areas with this to just under flush level (2mm -3mm) and use easifill over the top and sand the easifill smooth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back