Are screwless clip on faces on wall sockets a No-No with traditional plastered walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just about to push the button (excuse the pun) on some really nice looking Schneider Lisse Rose Gold sockets and switches for my daughters bedroom when I read a bunch of reviews on Screwfix.

The 2-3 star reviews all complained of the same thing.

That if your walls aren't perfectly flat, that you will have trouble getting the faceplate clipped on and it staying on. The more experienced sparkies of the reviewers also had some words of concern about the way the socket is earthed and the possibility of the faceplate slipping off when handling plugs and the faceplate effectively becoming live.

Now the issue, my partner is very keen on the idea of screwless faceplates, so is this an issue specific to that brand and model or is this is a general problem with clip on faces on older uneven plaster walls?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the walls/plaster must be perfectly flat.

The 'inner' faceplate will be earthed if metal. It makes no difference whether the clip-on piece comes off or not.

Yes, the walls/plaster must be perfectly flat.

Just as well I read that, screwed it is then. Now the fun begins trying to explain this to my gf, which is never so easy when it's something she has her heart set on.

The 'inner' faceplate will be earthed if metal. It makes no difference whether the clip-on piece comes off or not.

Ahh I see. I'll post the guys review here for info just in case I wasn't explaining it properly as I have barely passable understanding of this mystical thing known as electricity.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneide...s-steel-with-black-inserts/681cc?activeTab=rr

Philh66 said:
"Another issue is the way the front plate is earthed as it uses touch contact when the plate clicks into place and the fact that this earth is present suggests that the manufacturer sees it to be necessary in the interests of safety, and on that point I would agree but it should perhaps be linked by a flexible lead. Think about when or if the plate springs off it will most likely happen when the plug is either being plugged in or pulled out and in that situation it will drop onto the plugtop pins and in that situation live contact to the plate is reliant on the insulation on the plugtop pins to prevent the plate becoming live and for someone using the old 13amp plugs that are still around it could be a dangerous situation. "

The point is that the 'inner' plate is earthed, so -

if the clip-on part is touching it, it will be earthed as well; if it comes off, or for some reason does not make contact, it doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links
I suggest that you buy just one and install it, as an example. Choose a bit of crap bumpy plaster.
Your gf may quickly see the issue. If she says go ahead then it’s not your problem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back