Are there rules on placement of switch for combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've attached a crude diagram to help try and explain what I'm talking about and I can get pictures if anybody wants further clarification.

Simply put, the supply cable for my combi boiler runs to a very old looking switch inside the airing cupboard (which is also where the combi boiler is located).

From this switch, a short run of t&e runs through the wall to an FCU on the other side of the wall. The cable from the combi boiler then runs through the wall to this FCU.

I can't personally see the point of this, why have two switches? Ideally I'd like to have just one switch, especially as one of the switches looks decades old and the cable is very badly chiselled into the pattress.

So I'm just wondering if there are any rules on where switches are placed in relation to combi boilers. Are they allowed to be in the same enclosure or must they be a certain distance away?

Clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
where is the boiler and the present switching arrangement located?

The boiler is located in an airing cupboard just at the top of the stairs. The 'old' switch is also inside this airing cupboard along with the supply cable which I assume comes straight from the CU.

However, there is a small wall separating the airing cupboard from the rest of the landing, and there is an FCU on the outside of this wall, supplied by the 'old' switch inside the airing cupboard.

The boiler is then connected to the FCU. I see that as making the 'old' switch redundant.

Ill post some pictures which may help explain it better.

Sponsored Links
yes, i can see what you mean.. who many cables enter this "old switch" not wire, but cables?

yes, i can see what you mean.. who many cables enter this "old switch" not wire, but cables?

Just two, one cable which is the supply and then the cable which goes to the FCU on the other side of the wall.

There are some other cables in the photo but they're for the shower and shower switch - unrelated.

My guess is , all they have done is use the old supply to an Immersion Heater (was there a Hot Water tank in the Boiler Position?) , The Switch on the landing is for ease of switching the old Immersion Htr on/off , Next to the Cylinder would be a Switch where the Butyl was terminated etc

Lucky

Butyl was terminated?

Yes there did used to be a hot water tank in this airing cupboard.

What I want to know is, can I remove the old switch from the inside and replace it with the FCU from the outside? It even has a cord outlet on the faceplate so ideal really.

Hi Gig,

Given your post the other day I would strongly suggest that you stop what you are doing. //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/strange-little-situation-any-thoughts.311323/

I don't have a copy of ADPP to hand, but I think there are words to the effect that before you carry out any electrical work in the house you must ensure that appropriate safety measures are in place.

You seem to be tinkering with a boiler which I currently think is fed by two seperate fuses - this is not good.

Also, you have taken no steps to ensure that your earthing and bonding arrangements are adequate - this is not good either.

I understand that your parents are more interested in spending their money on holidays rather than tradesmen, but seriously dude, get a professional to take a look at things before someone points the finger at you in the event of electric shock/electrocution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back