Are these damp spots in the lime render signs of impending damage? NHL 3.5, 3:1 sand to lime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DO I have to get a surveyor to find out whether persistent wet patches in lime are a bad sign? I never see patches in anybody elses render when it rains. thanks

IMG_20230111_120128.jpg
IMG_20230111_120133.jpg
IMG_20230111_132703.jpg
IMG_20230117_100644.jpg
IMG_20230117_101342.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
its a victorian property circa 1850ish build and this is the stone underneath, granite?

Attachments

• IMG_20230117_101522.jpg
    IMG_20230117_101522.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220615_081807.jpg
    IMG_20220615_081807.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 32
spent a lot of money on this, pretty mindblown if its starting to fail.

Last edited:
The damp spots are an unknown because I dont know how the very rough background was prepped or how the render was applied.
The renders at front elevation and back elevation are different - why?

- You have sand & cement fillets at ground/wall abutment. They need to be removed and then the gap made good but render stopped 50mm above ground level with a plastic Bell Cast.
- The door canopy also has a large lump of S&C fillet - you could leave this in place and flash with lead or remove it & flash with lead.
- The S&C plinths at the base of the wall need removing and the render making good - all render should finish with plastic Bell Casts'.
- The render that stops above the front elevation horizontal band might benefit from lead flashing or even a small S&C fillet. I think a Bell Cast would spoil the effect?
- Cracks can be lightly raked out & filled with polyurethane.
- Your window sills should have drip grooves.
- The RWP discharging into earth is wrong, it could do with a trapped gulley & then piping away.
- Do you show any damp signs inside the house?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The damp spots are an unknown because I dont know how the very rough background was prepped or how the render was applied.
The renders at front elevation and back elevation are different - why?

- You have sand & cement fillets at ground/wall abutment. They need to be removed and then the gap made good but render stopped 50mm above ground level with a plastic Bell Cast.
- The door canopy also has a large lump of S&C fillet - you could leave this in place and flash with lead or remove it & flash with lead.
- The S&C plinths at the base of the wall need removing and the render making good - all render should finish with plastic Bell Casts'.
- The render that stops above the front elevation horizontal band might benefit from lead flashing or even a small S&C fillet. I think a Bell Cast would spoil the effect?
- Cracks can be lightly raked out & filled with polyurethane.
- Your window sills should have drip grooves.
- The RWP discharging into earth is wrong, it could do with a trapped gulley & then piping away.
- Do you show any damp signs inside the house?
Yes damp above the middle of the door upstaisr in the new plaster and a crack has formed along the whole height of the house along the boundary between the two. water is entering both houses on either side of the crack.
IMG_20221129_151416.jpg

It's been found that the presence of lime in Roman concrete actually helps it stay stronger for longer; even when cracks form in the concrete the lime reacts with the rainwater and provides a natural sealant to stop further rain damage.
@news.MIT
Research is now being done in future applications to include this technique - so, if lime is present in your mix then the cracks should self-heal over time. Since the building has been around for 150 years it should dry naturally, as the original builders intended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back