Are these isolation valves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please confirm the big “screws” on either side of the thermostatic valve are the hot/cold isolation valves?

I have these concealed mixers in all 3 showers in the house. One of them is dripping from the thermostatic valve. I can shut off the mains supply. But if there’s a problem I’d be under pressure to get it resolved, as I couldn’t turn the water back on.

So I pulled off the plate and then drilled a hole to expose what I hope are the isolation valves. I can then isolate the defective shower, remove the thermostatic valve and figure out if it’s a seal or find a replacement. Whilst cordoning off :)p) that bathroom and leave the family to use the other two.

Going forward it also means I don’t need to isolate the whole house if there’s an issue with any of the shower mixers.

Thank you (y)

Attachments

• IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be isolators, more probably cover plates for flow reducers/inlet filters/non-return valves.

Unlikely to be isolators, more probably cover plates for flow reducers/inlet filters/non-return valves.

Damn :(

So I’m guessing these mixers don’t have isolation valves fitted. Because from searches that’s where they’re usually located.

Check on the supply feeds if possible?

Sponsored Links
Could someone please confirm the big “screws” on either side of the thermostatic valve are the hot/cold isolation valves?
Have you tried turning them off to see what happens?

If they won't turn clockwise then it's a good indicator, they are not isolators.
As @polesapart says, probably for flow restrictors or filters.
You are going to need to open it up more if/when you do replace/repair the problem, so open it fully now and it will give you, (and us), a clearer picture of what is behind there. You never know, you may find a couple of isolators slightly further away.

Have you tried turning them off to see what happens?

Not yet. Didn’t want to start on a Sunday incase I need to get replacement parts.

Just pulled off the plate and was hoping to find isolation valves. Then on Wednesday, when I have a day off, start working on it.

If they won't turn clockwise then it's a good indicator, they are not isolators.
As @polesapart says, probably for flow restrictors or filters.
You are going to need to open it up more if/when you do replace/repair the problem, so open it fully now and it will give you, (and us), a clearer picture of what is behind there. You never know, you may find a couple of isolators slightly further away.

I’ll go do that now. Fingers crossed there is something else behind there.

Unfortunately doesn’t look like there’s a stop valve anywhere :(

Just the copper supply pipes -> elbow -> mixer

Atleast I got a chance to use my GSA18 that’s been largely collecting dust since I got it on a “great” deal :giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 73
What are the two rods sticking out at top and bottom? (Pictures 3 + 4 2525 and 2524)

What are the two rods sticking out at top and bottom? (Pictures 3 + 4 2525 and 2524)

Top one goes to the overhead shower, bottom one goes to the handheld shower. The two rods sticking out of the wall are the tap controls for each.

So “I did the job”.

No stop valve, so switched off at the mains. At this point I thought “since the water is off I may as well pull out and clean the other thermostatic cartridges whilst I’m at it”.

As usual (being a DIY’er) what I thought would be a couple of hours turned into most of the day job. Pulled all the panels off, removed the cartridges. Cleaned them in descaler. Cleaned the handles. Etc, etc.

Put it all back together and unfortunately the defective cartridge is still dripping. But I believe I’ve identified it as a Crosswater GP0000250 so ordered a replacement.

All good I thought, “job done”. This morning tank heated up as usual, so I thought I’d set the temperature restrictor. And both of the working showers the coldest setting is now coming out warm :oops:

I’m guessing I’ve damaged the O rings when I screwed them back in? Atleast I hope that’s the issue and I haven’t damaged them by descaling them?

Thought I’d update the thread incase anyone else experienced similar.

Replacement cartridge arrived so replaced the leaking one. Pulled the other two and checked them, but O-Rings looked fine.

Gave them a good turn whilst out, greased them up with plumbers silicon grease and stuck them back in.

The new cartridge works fine as expected. One of the old ones does go cold, but very stiff when turning the last quarter to get it cold. The other refuses to go cold.

Ordered two more, which is probably what I should have done in the first place. They are several years old now and until recently we had very hard water, so probably on the way out anyway. I suspect descaling them probably released some crap internally which is interfering and that’s why they don’t go cold.

Thanks for the help and advice. Hopefully That’s my bit of DIY done for a couple of months :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back