Are These Manufacturer's Instructions Wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every now and again, someone asks a question about the wiring to a Honeywell BDR91 receiver, and I will often reply with a link to, or post a diagram from the installation instructions. When I do so, I notice what I believe to be an error and keep expecting Honeywell to correct it. However it's been there for years.

bdr91.jpg

Maybe it's not been noticed because it is in the final option that relates to using the BDR91 with a cooling system that AFAIK has not been discussed on here. Anyone else spot it? Or is there a logical explanation?

Sponsored Links
I do not think there is an error.

If it was wired as red here
bdr91 in cooling.jpg

then if the BDR91 was de-powered ( or failed ) the cooling would be switched ON.

I expect in a cooling application the thermostat sends an ON command to the BDR91 when the room temperature is above the set point and an OFF command when the room temperature is below the set point

The 'HC' option changes whether B becomes live when under or over the set point, so no, it's not wrong.

Sponsored Links
The 'HC' option changes whether B becomes live when under or over the set point, so no, it's not wrong.
Perfect. Thanks for the explanation. I suspected that as it's basically a 'relay' the signal could simply reversed so that A & B is just a switch that would be configured for 'on' whether the 'on' be heating or cooling. I guess it's years of working with the old mechanical thermostats that just had a set of changeover contacts one for heating & one for cooling.

I notice what I believe to be an error and keep expecting Honeywell to correct it. However it's been there for years
Although you “suspected the relay could simply be reversed” but expected Honeywell to correct an error that has been in their instruction manual for years?
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back