Artificial grass subbase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm confused about the subbase needed for my artificial grass installation.

I am worried about using type 1 as have read it doesn't drain?

Was thinking 20mm limestone chippings to allow for better drainage.

Either way they'd both have grano dust on top?

Am I worrying about nothing and should just go for the normal type1?

PXL_20211101_101618615.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For a small patch of grass that is not likely to get heavy footfall I'd just chuck down the cheapest thing to make it levelish. I used leftover sharp sand from the extension to put a 2m strip along the back of the house 3 years ago and it is still OK, and gets lots of traffic as it is the route to the garden.

Sponsored Links
I'm back. Grano dust in but not compacted yet. Was wondering if I am going for grass about 35mm pile height how much of that should be below the level of the path?

Artificial grass is a blot on the landscape: plant moss if you want a evergreen area.

Moss can be planted anywhere: if ever they find life on another planet chances are it'll be moss.
Find out which grow zone your area is in and google types of moss that may be suitable.
There're so many different types it's hard to choose, but if you want to keep a tidy pathway you want a low growing sphagnum: basically there's two phenotypes; those that grow up and those that grow along. Moss on wood is a fine way to start off a patch. I've successfully coaxed a nice patch of moss from fallen branches over several gardens. The insects will devour the wood, eventually, but branches with a nice shape can add interest to a garden and birds like to use them for hunting - as you appear to be designing a layout for a suburban garden you could also consider using coloured stones or river washed pebbles to give the contours a colourful contrast. Mix and match according to taste. The moss will grow over and around them so the area doesn't look so flat.
Get googling and give your imagination a bit of excercise.:)

Moss can be planted anywhere: if ever they find life on another planet chances are it'll be moss.
Find out which grow zone your area is in and google types of moss that may be suitable.
There're so many different types it's hard to choose, but if you want to keep a tidy pathway you want a low growing sphagnum: basically there's two phenotypes; those that grow up and those that grow along. Moss on wood is a fine way to start off a patch. I've successfully coaxed a nice patch of moss from fallen branches over several gardens. The insects will devour the wood, eventually, but branches with a nice shape can add interest to a garden and birds like to use them for hunting - as you appear to be designing a layout for a suburban garden you could also consider using coloured stones or river washed pebbles to give the contours a colourful contrast. Mix and match according to taste. The moss will grow over and around them so the area doesn't look so flat.
Get googling and give your imagination a bit of excercise.:)
Great!
Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back