Asbestos border?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear - that looks exactly like asbestos - was it once part of an air raid shelter or garden shed?
Best to do an exploratory dig down the side of it and see how far it goes into the ground. If its not too far it would be best to try to carefully dig it out in one piece, wrap it in polythene and take it to your local waste/recycling place. It's only dangerous if you start smashing it up, and even then it's not as deadly as some people like to make out - you've only got problems if you were working with it regularly in the past and wore no dust protection.

Oh dear - that looks exactly like asbestos - was it once part of an air raid shelter or garden shed?
Best to do an exploratory dig down the side of it and see how far it goes into the ground. If its not too far it would be best to try to carefully dig it out in one piece, wrap it in polythene and take it to your local waste/recycling place. It's only dangerous if you start smashing it up, and even then it's not as deadly as some people like to make out - you've only got problems if you were working with it regularly in the past and wore no dust protection.

I'd say yes it is. Can only add to wet it thoroughly before doing owt to it. Depth would be bit of a bugger tho ...

Thank you for the advice. Not sure if it was part of a shelter of shed, but one of the chimneys is asbestos lined so it seems like lots was used in the house in the past (annoyingly) and extra bits in the garden I guess! Fingers crossed it's not too deep anyway.

Sponsored Links
That looks like asbestos cement board which is one of the least dangerous types of asbestos.

Just pull it out and put it in a sturdy binbag or one of those 'DIY sacks'.

contrary to popular opinion it isnt dust that you have to worry about when handling asbestos containing materials, its the fibres. according my my missus who is a biologist and has some experience dealing with toxicity with hazardous materials. concrete dust is much more likely to give you health problems than asbestos.

contrary to popular opinion it isnt dust that you have to worry about when handling asbestos containing materials, its the fibres. according my my missus who is a biologist and has some experience dealing with toxicity with hazardous materials. concrete dust is much more likely to give you health problems than asbestos.

But isn't this the cloud/face full that you get shoveling it into the mixer when mixing up... rather than snapping a damp bit of cement/asbestos?

I expect I have taken in more tannalised timber dust than I should... :eek:
.... which is (some say) the next BAD thing!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back