Ashlar walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, This is a question for the professionals from a professional. Loft conversions, I have been taught to form ashlar walls by bolting 4x2 uprights to the side of the rafter "timber locks to be precise' and only 1 per upright. This has always struck me as wrong because the purlin is supported by a strut that is at 90 degrees to the pitch if the roof whereas the 4x2 is vertical. Its not the fact its vertical its the junction to the rafter using one timber lock per upright per rafter doesn't cut the mustard in my head. Surely I should be putting a plate on the underside of the rafter and reverse birdsmouthing the uprights onto it?

How do you guys form them?. Cheers

Sponsored Links
The traditional way (in Scotland anyway) was to half lap the ashlar studs to the rafters on one side, nail through to the rafter and nail the studs to a batten on the wall head, thereby forming three point of bracing i.e. triangulation. On some of the older buildings I've worked on the dwarf studs were fixed to the rafters with draw pegs or hand made nails, forming a very tight joint...pinenot

If not not using the purlin then I do it the way have suggested, and I find it makes it a lot easier to line everything up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back