Purlin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm doing a DIY loft conversion , full plans, all passed and have installed some steels to hang the new floor joists from and take some of the weight from the removal of the old purlins via a newly built supporting purlin wall.

The existing rafters are 4x2, the purlin wall I'm about to built will be 4x2 also, I'm a little confused how I attach the uprights of the new purlin wall onto the rafters? Can I just bolt them together using dog tooth connectors and coach bolts, or should I be making a wall plate at the top of the new wall and birdsmouthing the rafters onto this ?

Any help would be great! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Attach a tilting piece to the underside of the rafters, with sprocket (dog tooth) washers, gives you a fast horizontal fixing for the top runner of your frames preventing any slippage. Ping a chalk line across the bottom of the rafters from plum lines marked from the intended floor to ensure a straight top runner (working upside down can be confusing) This way provides a sure but simple way of attachment in my experience...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back