how to move purlins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am thinking of having my loft converted, i need to move the purlins down to do this i need to install new 6x2 rafters next to the 4x2 rafters. I will be putting in 9x3 floor joists. :
my question is how do i prop up the rafters so i can take down the existing purlin to insert the new rafters before building a timber structural wall further down to support the rafters the roof
is hipped at one end i hope i have explained this well enough many thanks dave

Sponsored Links
Use a chainsaw and do each rafter one at a time.

Prop the purlin off the ceiling joists which will need to be propped below using acro props and a double plank.

You can the saw out a section of purlin, insert one rafter and move your way along.

Are you saying that you need to move the purlins to install the new rafters, or you are installing the new rafters in order to beef up the structure to move the purlins?

In my loft conversion it was specified to install 6x2 timbers to the side of the existing 70mmx90mm rafters. However, this was only to accomodate the 100mm insulation boards, not for structural purposes. Therefore I could notch out at the purlins, or I can stitch timber to the front of the rafters to allow for the insulation. I did however have to check with my SE that the existing rafters are suitable as they are. Which they are.

My purlins are being beefed up with steel. I am keeping my existing purlins in place, as by the time the insulation, plasterboard and skim goes on there will only be a small amount poking through which should scrub up as a bit of a feature.

Sponsored Links
hey
is there tiles or slate on the roof?
theres a few ways ya could go about it but would need too know what weights up on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back