Getting rafters past the purlins

The roof elevation concerned is a vaulted ceiling in master bedroom, staircase up to a gallery landing leading out to an inverted dormer/ roof terrace on the opposite side ... span from wall plate to ridge is about 5m

Sponsored Links
The SE won't normally be involved in rafter design, just the beam. He won't calculate or confirm the rafters unless he's asked ..... and paid to do so.

Rafter and joist specification £60 +vat
I will be asking SE for the spec

The initial question was how to get past the purlins prior to their removal, without stripping the roof, this then led to a discussion about the difficulties in getting them to sit on the wall plate with very little wiggle room, which in turn led to advice that they don’t need to cover the entire length of the existing rafters.

Getting loads of sound advice here and good use of my time whilst it’s with the planners.

When I did mine they went from top of dwarf wall (built off the steels) up to ridge - nice and easy!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back