Association on control panel error?? after trojan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help with a problem on my wifes acer computer with windows xp. The anti-virus run out and before she could get the lastest version. It started showing pop ups telling her she had a trojan virus. she tried vista upgrade but it wouldnt work. So we purchased the norton 2010 and ran the utilities and it has wiped off a program. Which is flashpoint, now everytime she clicks on a icon an error code comes up saying we need to create an association in the control panel. does anyone know what this means?

Thanks Nath

Sponsored Links
Dunno about the associations with files, but your big mistake was buying Norton AV. Had that on my computer when new and caused me grief over the years. There are many free AV software programs out there in cyberland.

So we purchased the norton 2010 and ran the utilities and it has wiped off a program.
What do you mean by that?
Did you buy the Norton 2010 on a disk in a box or was it downloaded?
Why try to upgrade to Vista when you have an infected computeer?
Was the upgrade on a disk?

First thing you need to do is clean the computer.
As the popups were probably from malware and not a virus at all, it needs to be removed.

1st thing to do is clear out all your temporary files, tool of choice is ATF Cleaner, it is free and you do not have to install it. Download and instructions here (Windows XP, 2K, 2003 & Vista ONLY)
* NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.

-- Click on ATF-Cleaner to run it
-- Where it says Select Files To Delete, Check the Select All Option
-- Click Empty Selected - > OK

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:

* Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
* Click the Empty Selected button.

Then, please download MalwareBytes' AntiMalware using the BLUE button for the FREE version.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

* Then click Finish

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

* Once the program has loaded, select > Perform Quick Scan, then click > Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click > OK, then > Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click > Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Click Edit -> Copy. Then Save this log to My Documents in case it is needed for reference.
Reboot as required.

Paste the log in your next post on here and also answer the questions that I asked.

dave

but your big mistake was buying Norton AV.
I don't agree. NAV is a very good package

The message about creating a new association: does it happen with every icon that you click on? Or is it just video or picture files? Are you clicking on files in Windows Explorer. or what? Or do you mean the icons to start programs on the desktop, like Internet Explorer or My Documents?

Sponsored Links
but your big mistake was buying Norton AV.
I don't agree. NAV is a very good package

The message about creating a new association: does it happen with every icon that you click on? Or is it just video or picture files? Are you clicking on files in Windows Explorer. or what? Or do you mean the icons to start programs on the desktop, like Internet Explorer or My Documents?

Yeah thats right it happens with every icon. my wife had the vista package put on the computer when she got it. and the norton av is on disc not downloaded.

Nath

Run ATF and MBAM first then once you are clean we can try and sort out the icons.

dave

Back