Astra Emission light ON

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new exhaust fitted by Kwikfit a couple of days ago on our Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16V (Dec 2000) and the emission warning light came on. Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes but the light came back on again. :cry: Car runs OK, no smoke.

Anybody any ides what it could be and how to proceed. I had the exhaust replaced from the CAT onwards (but not the CAT) - I think they may have damaged something - can the CAT or sensor get damaged during removal of the old exhaust ?

Any advice welcome.

Dal

Sponsored Links
From about 2000, I have had two Astras from new, and each one had trouble with the ECU sensor. The car would occasionally judder when cruising at low revs and I could tell that anytime the yellow warning light would come on.

Inevitably it would, so i took it back as it was under warranty and the dealer changed the sensor. This happened twice in one car and once in another. Bear in mind that these were brand new cars.

It seems that it is an inherant fault with Astras, but easily fixed.

It only takes a few hammer blows in close proximity to an O2 sensor to kill it. Some exhaust sealing products don't do them much good either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - they had trouble getting the old middle box off as it was the original and they were playing about with a gas torch as well.
See what they say on Maonday

Happy ending - the Kwik fit fitter had pulled out the sensor plug from the loom by accident.

However it took two visits to convince them. At first they said it was not possible.
I did my homework - Astra 16V has two sensors, the second one somewhere after the cat. On the second visit they reluctantly put it up on the ramp and sure enough discovered the un-plugged lead and plugged it back in.
Had to re-set the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 3 minutes - been OK since, passed the MOT as well.

You can`t get s****er than a Kwik fit Fitter :rolleyes: Ask them if they can fit a French letter (to a Renault ):eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back