Attaching IKEA kitchen cabinets to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am wanting to attach some IKEA kitchen cabinets to my garage wall. The wall is a single block roughly rendered wall so before mounting cabinets I would like to put some plasterboard over it to tidy it all up a little bit. Because the electrical sockets are surface mounted I reckoned it would be a good idea to attach the plasterboard using timber battens.

IKEA cabinets can be fixed to the wall using a suspension rail, so my idea was to attach a batten horizontally behind where this rail will be and attach the rail through the battens into the wall. Does this seem sensible? What type of fixings would be best to attach the rail through the plasterboard and batten into the wall? The battens won't be as thick as a regular stud wall so I don't think I can just screw into the wood alone. I'm obviously pretty concerned that this rail has no chance of detaching as the wall unit is pretty heavy!

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both. Reason for battens is because electric conduits are on the surface.

I was thinking about using 4 of these over 800mm length rail. Seem sufficient?

Attachments

• 20171201_140926.jpg
    20171201_140926.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
Frame fixings are not suitable , tend to pull out . Use ordinary plugs and screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back