Ikea metod cabinets on dry wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My apartment was built in 2013. I would like to change the three existing kitchen cabinets for four of Ikea’s metod wall cabinets & rails. The wall that the original cabinets are hung on appears to be made from two full thickness dry boards, giving a total depth of just over 40mm. Should I identify the metal frame verticals in order to install the metod rail or can I use a fixing like ForgeFix cavity bolts?
As an aside, it looks to me like the mounting plates for the original cabinets were simply screwed onto the plaster boards using dry wall screws… this is partly why I’d like to replace the old with the new.

Sponsored Links
My apartment was built in 2013. I would like to change the three existing kitchen cabinets for four of Ikea’s metod wall cabinets & rails. The wall that the original cabinets are hung on appears to be made from two full thickness dry boards, giving a total depth of just over 40mm. Should I identify the metal frame verticals in order to install the metod rail or can I use a fixing like ForgeFix cavity bolts?
As an aside, it looks to me like the mounting plates for the original cabinets were simply screwed onto the plaster boards using dry wall screws… this is partly why I’d like to replace the old with the new.
Have you checked if there is timber behind the plasterboard , quite common to use behind in a kitchen to give fixing , drywall screws into any thickness of plasterboard would not hold up a wall cupboard .

hmmm… it may be that what I thought was a second sheet of plasterboard is in fact wood sheet - I’ll have a closer look.

The Metod rails give you peace of mind, you can use full length large diameter screws into the timbers available.

Sponsored Links
Foxhole, I pretty sure you're right. It looks like there are three distinct layers - the outer p. board, with its plaster skim coat, then another p. board, with a grey layer between - adhesive or insulation? Then, behind them, some sort of wood board. Happy Days!

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpeg
    IMG_1600.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back