Attic Flat Insulation problems & drafts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My first post on here so be gentle :D, ill try and keep it short.

Basically, I moved into an attic flat three years ago and the building is now 6 years old. I bought the flat from a guy who's dad was owner of the building company which built the flats :confused: .

The following winter i noticed rooms which were absolutely freezing in the cold windy weather and found that my doubling glazing were not sealing against the frame when closing. I tried to repair this best as i could but found the frame had bowed and were basically crap.

This year ive looked further into the insulation as the drafts are unbearable. Ive pulled down a knee wall which separates the living area from the roof space, and there is no insulation along the roof space, only some wool stuck to the back of the walls i pulled down. Ive climbed into the roof space and found that the start of the joists are open and cold air is also going underneath the floorboards where there is no insulation either. There is however insulation going up the slope of the roof above these knee walls. Ive also checked internal walls and these have none either.

Ive contacted my lawyer and he's applying for the building certificate. He also said that an architect had signed off the building and any warranty claims would be heading his way.

Can anyone help me with what the regulations are and where i stand with this.

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
It'll probably be cheaper and easier and a lot less stressful to just add some insulation. Ask your lawyer if he'll do it on a no win no fee basis? What warranty did you get with the building? NHBC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back