Attic Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help please???
Does anyone know what specifications the timber floor joists have to be for me to lay a floor onto it. I want it to be used as an addtional room but am not sure about the regs.
The house is early 1920's and solidly built, and already has half of the attic space turned into accomodation, but the other half was sealed up.
I pose this question as it is confusing me, because I cannot see why the builders of the house would have put different thickness joists on the half of the property which was sealed up, so therfore logically the joists on the sealed side should be adequate, but a friend of mine seems to think they should be thicker.
Anyone who has got any informational help would be appreciated.
Thanks Andy

Sponsored Links
All depends on room span,you will need to get building regulation from your local planning department as it varies in different area.Not trying to put you off,but have known people can't sell their house without building or planning permisson with no correct paperwork.If you do sell it they can make you convert it back to how it was.I know people do get away with it !! but I thought I should warn you.Good luck to you whatever you do ! :)

You can get the building regs on line for free from the office of the Deputy Prime Minister http://www.safety.odpm.gov.uk/bregs/brad02.htm is the structure regulations. Span tables are in Part 5 - appendix A.

Assume timber from most yards and B & Q will be grade 3 (should be stamped C16) unless you specifically ask them for something else (c24 is grade 4).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back