Austerity; purely dogma?

I keep hearing how Thatcher sold all the council houses, and it's a massive problem. But are not some of those people still living in them? Which they would have done anyway with their lifetime tenancy agreements? And why should the government be involved in the provision of housing? It sounds like something the private sector could provide - if the government would just get out of the way.

I agree totally, take me for instance... I moved in with my then partner, who was at the time renting this place. I didn't like the idea of it being council owned, and having to ask their permission for everything we might want to do, besides which, it would be pointless to invest money in a house which someone else owned. So like many others in the street - we bought it, a 3-bed semi, very well built by a tiny local council, with a massive garden, in a nice area. Even better, it had just been put through a back to bare brick, full refurb, which had taken 6 months of hell. I am free to most of the maintenance and repairs, and can do them at much lower cost than it would have cost the council. As I own the place, I tend to look after it, much more carefully than if I rented the place. I'm not sure what councils charge in rent, but I suspect it is generally less than what it costs/is worth. So my owning is a saving for me and a saving for the council too.

Why can't we consider health and education in the same way? Oh, that's right... we are told that without the sacred NHS, people would die in there street, 'just like America'. We seem unable to ponder the fact that there are 100+ other health systems in the world, so forget about the USA. If the NHS was great, someone else would have copied it. 'Free at the point of use' seems to mean that I pay a fortune in tax, have a GP appointment merry-go-round, and am refused dental treatment - the envy of the world indeed.

Prior to the NHS, health care in the UK was a disjointed complete mess, relying in many cases on charity and goodwill, it was also much more limited back then. It's not as instant as when it was first set up, but it's a darn sight more effective, in the range of what it can do now, as well as the treatment being often much more expensive generally.

Back then dentistry often involved being given the 21st birthday present, of all your teeth out in one session, and a set of false teeth, by way of an investment.

Sponsored Links
I keep hearing how Thatcher sold all the council houses, and it's a massive problem. But are not some of those people still living in them?
The overall number of houses is not the issue.

the issue is that council houses were sold off and Thatcher stopped councils building more…..when councils owned houses, they were a govt asset and there to provide houses for people that needed them

And why should the government be involved in the provision of housing? It sounds like something the private sector could provide
The private sector can’t provide housing that will resolve the crisis. The private sector are driven by profit, they have no interest in lowering house prices to affordable levels

So my owning is a saving for me and a saving for the council too.
Unfortunately it’s not a saving for the council, they now don’t own many council houses so they have to give housing benefits to people which means giving taxpayers money to private landlords

If the NHS was great, someone else would have copied it. 'Free at the point of use' seems to mean that I pay a fortune in tax,
why do you think you pay too much tax for what you get.

do you think it would be cheaper to pay less tax and pay for private healthcare.

we are told that without the sacred NHS, people would die in there street
Nobody has said that.

by the way healthcare debts in USA are the main cause of bankruptcy

ask yourself why Americans are scared to call an ambulance

Sponsored Links
why do you think you pay too much tax for what you get.

Perhaps @richw is not yet very old

An ageing population needs more care, more often, for longer.

Britain has an ageing population.

No surprise that costs are going up

And decent standards would cost even more.

Curiously, Tory membership is particularly elderly

But votes for belt tightening.

Age related dementia, perhaps?

ask yourself why Americans are scared to call an ambulance

The NHS is genuinely, the envy of the rest of the world - one of the problems is it is cost free, and therefore overused by many. When I was growing up in the early days of the NHS, the first line of dealing with health problems, was at home. Now many take the most minor of problems to the NHS. Add this, to many more expensive fixes becoming available, and the NHS is inundated.

Making a token charge for the service, will help dissuade many.

The NHS is genuinely, the envy of the rest of the world

That old slogan is not true.

Think of our neighbouring countries with similar prosperity, infrastructure, education and population profiles.

What makes you think all their systems are worse?

do you think it would be cheaper to pay less tax and pay for private healthcare
Doctors in N.Ireland are leaving the NHS and setting up privately.
Those who want to jump the waiting list for appointments have to pay £160 for the first half hour consultation and £110 for a second consultation.
Doctors complain about their workload but they still have time to moonlight for private companies.

Last edited:
You can read this if you want, but you might be able to guess what it says.

The NHS is genuinely, the envy of the rest of the world
Here is one example from the link.

Envy?

Why do you suppose UK hospitals cancel routine operations in a cold spell? What happens every winter?

chrome_screenshot_29 Nov 2023 10_35_14 GMT.png

Sponsored Links
Back