Auto air vent positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have the opportunity to add a larger radiator downstairs and have drained down the entire heating system. I intend to give the whole thing a rinsing through. I remember when this was last done several years ago I had all sorts of issues with air in the primary heating circuit when DHW was on and airlocks.
The combined feed and vent runs down the airing cupboard wall turns at floor level horizontal for 6 inches and joins the flow pipe just below the pump. I mention the horizontal part as I am unsure if this would hinder air passing up the f/e pipe.

So, to help matters I thought that now would be ideal time to install a auto air bottle. I thought maybe on top of the boiler flow elbow would be the best place using 28mm x 28mm x 15 compression elbow. I think the cast iron boiler has some localised boiling or maybe someone can suggest better location.

Considering a powerflush too when finances improve

Flow is on the left and is a potterton puma or prima ? I think
2 storey house and boiler is on ground floor.

Thanks for all help.
View media item 57073

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the link. I is really have not considered the spirotech filter but I did opt for the spirovent.

It is quite a big bit of equipment and I am not comfortable installing it in a area that is not easily visible. Apparantly they can leak and the only place I have available is out of sight behind a wall panel.

Many thanks for the advice though

Complete waste of time fitting it there. Air will rise from that boiler with no problem. Post a pic of the A/C pipe setup for a better suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks 45yearsagasman.
Post a pic of the A/C pipe setup for a better suggestion.

I am pulling a late shift but will post pics tomorrow Fri. BTW do you mean pics of the f/e pipes in the cupboard and loft ??? not sure what a/c pipe setup is.

Thanks again

Ok heres the photos, I do hope they make some sense.

The auto air bottle used to be a manual screw type air vent. I replaced it to the auto type some years ago thinking it may help.

When the pump stops, thats the time I mostly hear air pass through the vent but only a little.

The partly insulated pipe in pic three is the f/e pipe.

BTW the f/e pipe runs about 13 feet to the expansion tank but is on a incline. Also, in the past Fernox inhibitor left a thick scum like substance in the tank. I used sentinel x100 a couple years ago and even though there was no scum the water was a blue green colour.

Sorry about some pics sideways.

Thanka again

View media item 24221 View media item 24223 View media item 24222 View media item 57161 View media item 57162 View media item 57161

Right, I have been doing a lot more research on my problem. Air is difficult to remove from primary circuit been like this for years.

Have been looking at pictures of hot water cylinders and 99.9% of them have a manual bleed vent just before the pipe enters the cyclinder.

Mine has no vent there and looking at it more clearly I think the installer simply didn't have enough room. If I rotate the 3 way valve 90 degrees and extend the pipes I should have enough room to add a manual air vent.

What do you think. I am sounding more desparate as the days get colder but I would like to sort this.
View media item 57243 View media item 24221
Many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back