[b]Oven tripping power!!![/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single oven that was working fine, but it started tripping the trip switch in the consumer unit, so flick the trip back on, the oven on and it carries on warming up and then stays on fine when cooking. If, you heat upto about 220c it trips 2-3 times, however sometimes it doesn\\\'t trip at any temperature. HELP!!!!! Any ideas?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
either a new cooker or element.

One of the elements is on its wayout and needs replacing. but i have never changed one so do not know how hard it is to change one.

when the element gets hot it is shorting to the element "case" so it is tripping.

It is possible that the oven element/ wiring/ connector block may be going short circuit when hot or that the element is going to earth intermittantly. It is more likely from what you have described that the fuse running the circuit feeding the oven is overloaded and tripping when other appliances cut in.

So if I use the oven without any other appliances on the circuit running, it is the element? Right?

If the element is shorting against the body why does it not continually do it?

711 said:
It is possible that the oven element/ wiring/ connector block may be going short circuit when hot or that the element is going to earth intermittantly. It is more likely from what you have described that the fuse running the circuit feeding the oven is overloaded and tripping when other appliances cut in.

Sponsored Links
i would disagree since rp1608 said "I have a single oven that was working fine" which would imply it was ok , now it isnt

This is true, and nothing has changed, so the element sounds more likely.

What do people recommend as a good brand of oven, I am probably looking at getting a double built under oven (electric). Or should I ask what are reknown for being reliable?

Thanks for you replies, by the way.

breezer said:
i would disagree since rp1608 said "I have a single oven that was working fine" which would imply it was ok , now it isnt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back