B&Q Colours Antique White. Any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Has anyone had experience with using B&Q Colours Antique White matt emulsion? If so, what does it look like when dry, i.e. yellowish, greyish, white?

I want a paint that dries off-white/cream but does not have a yellow tint and am wondering whether Antique White will do the job. If not, has anyone got any ideas of other offwhite-non yellow colours that I would be able to buy from one of the sheds?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
I've just used it throughout a modern flat. It's a very clean white and looks great. Another white I like is B & Q's New England Main Street. It's acrylic and you can use it on wood as well as plaster - even radiators. I've used that in an old cottage and it looked good.
I wouldn't call either of them 'yellow' but if you want more of a greyish white, have a look at Farrow and Ball.

I was after a cream for my walls, and found it difficult to get one, they were either a beige tint, yellow tint, and some a pinkish hue, I searched for ages as I was determined I wanted 'Dulux'

I couldnt find what I was looking forin Dulux, so looked at 'Crown' and found the perfect colour.

Its called 'Mimosa' in the solo range,they only do it in the solo range, in theory its supposed to cover in one coat, but dont as it will look awful, just water it down a bit, you get a nicer finish.

It is a lovely creamy colour, and infact one of my clients had the same dilema, she bought loads of testers and coulnt find the right cream, so I brought in my 'Mimosa' and dabbed some on the walls to show her the colour in different areas, and she loved it.

I ended up decorating her thru lounge with the exact same colours I did my own. :LOL:

Cheers Nick,

Is the Antique White noticeably different from straightforward white matt emulsion. I'm hoping it is as the plan is to have brilliant white ceiling and coving and the Antique White on the walls.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
usr33t said:
Cheers Nick,

Is the Antique White noticeably different from straightforward white matt emulsion. I'm hoping it is as the plan is to have brilliant white ceiling and coving and the Antique White on the walls.

It's a 'softer' white - probably the best way to describe it. Brilliant white is stark, which makes it great for ceilings, but (imo) not much else. I think you'll be pleased with the result.

I have Never used cheap paint untill a couple of weeks ago. I have always used crown, dulux and so on but last week i painted my daughters beedroom with B&Q cheap £10 for 10 litres stuff and i have to say it looks pretty nice.

I was expecting to have to apply coat after coat but new plaster was covered easily with a watered down first coat then a second full coat.

changed the way i have always felt about cheap paint.

Am not 100% sure but i remember someone telling me that Leyland Paints make Paint For B&Q.

Leyland Paints also do Antique White...............

Funny colour Antique White emulsion in Leyland.
Sometimes it has a green tinge and sometimes it looks like it has a blue tinge.

I guess this is just a bit late now, however; someone mentioned that Leyland antique white can be a bit variable. This is true. The mix I have is rather greyish. This can be seen imediately if applied over Dulux antique white.

Of all the antique whites I have used, my preference is Dulux. A few years ago this colour was un-named and could only be mixed by BS number. So I'm not sure if this has now been designated a true 'colour'.

The effect of the Dulux version is I think, very elegant when contrasted with a white ceiling; and even better if white is also used above a picture rail. It has a subtle warming effect. It actually reminds me of old ivory.

Hi ive used the b&q antique white for my bathroom and it has a slight yellow hue, i painted the cieling white and there is a noticable difference, I personally think its a very subtle but very good contrast.

As for the paint itself, i was painting over a mid blue and it took 4 coats, i should have used some kind of undercoat but i had plenty of paint and plenty of time.

Good luck

Hi,

Just passing through and noticed a couple of extra posts to my thread. Cheers guys.

I went ahead and used the B&Q Antique white and was very pleased with the results. I agree with you Andy, it's a very nice contrast against the white ceiling and skirting.

I was painting over mint green but fortunately I had a vat of white Dulux kicking about that I used as an undercoat! Think I used three coats of Antique White in the end, although could have got away with two.

Thanks again to all for their replies.
R

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back