[b]Sime Friendly Combination Boiler[/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hot water packed up Sunday but CH still working. Plumber replaced pump Mon am. Mon pm boiler tripped out electric unit every time either hot water or ch turned on. Plumber came back replaced pump again, worked for a few hours then same thing happened. Pump has now been replaced 3 times and this morning it has tripped out electric again. Plumber really hasn't got a clue what the problem is. Seems to work for a few hours only. It is obviously an electical problem somewhere but he says there are only 3 wires involved in replacing pump and this problem wasn't there until the pump was replaced. Can anyone help please? I am fed up with being without hot water and now ch as well. Do we now need to get in an electrician? This boiler is only about 4 years old.

carole, please note 5 then 10a

Sponsored Links
Plumber really hasn't got a clue what the problem is.

If pump worked for ch why change it?

Id be looking at other stuff

Do a search for local gas parts supplier and ask if they can recommend anyone.

This link will take you to sime website where you can get Manufacturers instructions for most sime boilers if you need them

edited to correct link

:idea: Have you now got some pumps you can sell us cheap :?:

Sponsored Links
Pump was replaced as we had no hot water. CH is not so important this time of year but hot water is.

The pump is integral to boiler operation, be it CH or HW mode.

You do not need a plumber, or an electrician but a heating engineer who understands boiler operation. Such a person will be able to diagnose the defect and carry out repairs.

Thanks for the advice. The plumber we use is also a qualified corgi registered heating engineer. He fitted the boiler originally and has maintained it for us ever since but has never come across this problem before.

Allow me to analyse fault finding procedure that your engineer has followed.
No HW but CH OK. This would suggest the pump is IN ORDER. The boiler would be started by timer or the demand switch on the diverter. The operation thereafter (fan running, burner firing etc) will be identical for CH or HW. To replace the pump when CH is OK does not make sense. I would have paid more attention to the area around the diverter valve.

If the boiler keeps tripping the fuse, one does not keep replacing the pumps, but one gets the tools out and starts looking for the defect. A defect like this should be easy to locate using the multimeter and isolation.

As I said before, you need a heating engineer who is familiar with boiler operation and does not change parts based on suspicion. Who ever looks at the boiler should be able to establish at what point during operation sequence the fuse is tripped.

Can you say how long the guy is at the boiler when he services it?

Thanks again for information. I am not normally here when he services the boiler so can't say. At the moment it is up and running (fingers crossed) but I am now paranoid everytime I turn on the hot tap in case it trips electric out again.
Hubby has just informed me that Monday morning we had neither hw or ch.
We are off to Devon for a week tomorrow so daughter has phone number of plumber. Hope she doesn't need it.

Assuming you are going to get the same guy back here then I would suggest he needs a bit of education.
Heres the number for sime:-
0870 9911114
If he gets stuck with it he can call it and ask to be put through to technical department. They should talk him through it but if he doesnt know how to test voltage, continuity and maybe resistance; or have the tools to do it when he calls, he will probably be wasting his time and/or your money!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back