back boiler heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks, yet another silly Q from me
I'm buying a house which currently has an old baxi back boiler in. the curent owner was told by BG that the boiler will need replaced as it's nto up to current standard. (i thought so long as it wasnt dangerous and worked it was fine but may be wrong)
I can probably just abotu afford to replace the heating this year, however would rather save for a bit longer and do it next summer instead.
is it likely to be a bad idea to leave int he old boiler? i knwo they were fitted in 1983 as the houses were refurbished then, and i know it's a baxi with an ugly fire in front. the reason i'd rather save a bit is to get money together to remove the ugly fire and put a nice one in, including replastering the livingroom as the walls are a bit of a state, and putting in a nice fire surround.
if it's likely to be ok to keep the boiler ( i know its hard to say for sure without seeing it) would it be worthwhile getting the system cleaned out as well as serviced or just a general service?

Sponsored Links
The vendor of the house has to provide statements about such matters. If this paperwork is OK, you should be reasonably sure that it is fit for purpose as sold. Have it serviced by a Gas Safe person, and save up for what you want.

How commited are you to the house.? A new boiler plus fire and fireplce is gong to be skywards of £3k. If you want a really nice fireplace then budget (a lot) more.

A LOT of old boilers are NTCS, but it does not make thenm dangerous.

BUT, if you move in, and wish to decorate, it makes sense to upgrade the boiler sooner rather than later. Contrary to what some (large company) sales reps will say, there is a good deal of upheaval required.

Find out the cost of what YOU want and factor it into the purchase price. then decide of it is the right value.

Sponsored Links
What does the paper work actually say?

Horrible though BBUs are, they are simple and hidden.

Either get money knocked off the deal, or don't do 'owt for a year or two to save up.

The house me and the missus bought needs a lot of work doing to bring it up to scratch, but everything we needed works so it can wait.

In the current economic climate, and from what you say about your finances, I doubt you are going anywhere soon, so string the boiler out for a year or two IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO and do the job properly and not on a shoestring.

It is much more expensive to put right a bodged heating system than it is to repaint a few walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back