Back Boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All of a sudden our old back boiler has stopped firing up?
When the switch on the wall is pushed to water the back boiler makes no sudden rage with all the burners fully alight. It just remains with 3 pilot lights lighting at the front to which after sometime these just go out.
Neither the central heating is working as well as hot water?

I can only describe our back boiler as it has a small dial on the right side and the push ignite push switch on the left.
Could this be dirty or blocked jets or a thermocouple problem.

Sponsored Links
Check that there is not another isolating switch at the side of the chimney breast that has accidentlly been turned off.
Other than that it is possibly the gas valve at fault.

Thank you for a speedy answer but no there is no isolating switch there? Strange part about it was that the boiler was working ok until last night.
I just thought the flames had been blown out as the pilot light also was not visible and had been shut off.
When i ignited the 3 pilot flames i waited a while and then on the switch i switched to water and nothing the three flames still burned but there was not sort of roar which tells you that the water is now heating.
These three pilot lights will eventually go out? I have in the past serviced this boiler myself and have cleaned it fully so will be doing that again today.
I also replaced the Thermo some time ago as the pilot lights would not stay lit? I am not sure if this could be also a cause why the main part of the boiler is not firing although something tells me that this is not the problem but something very daft and simple to sort its just finding it.

Sponsored Links
We have to say that you should not be servicing a BBU yourself as this requires disconnection of gas carrying parts and several checks other than just cleaning it.

You need to get an RGI in to sort it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back