Back Boiler Pilot Light Keeps Going Out - Service or Repair?

If you had principles you would have done the job properly, but you chose to be a sheep. Just by luck you never killed someone.
Why would i wish i was still there, now that really is one of your stupidest comments yet.
Unlike yourself i can see both sides but i guess your judgement has been clouded after being b#tch slapped out

Sponsored Links
You're boring me nobsag, I left because I wanted to and could go back tomorow if I wanted.

Go back to your Tennants super T and your haggis lunch you miserable old fart.

oooh internet warrior . you better turn computer off and get your mums clothes back into the wardrobe as she will be home soon.
Haggis is for breakfast or supper never lunch :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and its buckie not tennants super

They may behave like children but....

Both these guys are probably in their fifties!

Sponsored Links
I can take dangermouths halfwit ramblings and insults but to be told im in my fifties by a penfold lookalike is just taking the pi#s too far.

The boiler you have is old, has an open flue and the only thing standing between you and CO spilling into your room, is a simple pilot light monitor.

Could be that your pilot light unit is faulty, but it could also be that it is going out because it does exactly what it should be doing: turn off the boiler because toxic fumes are coming into the room.

Backboiler units must be fully serviced every year, which is very different from the 5 minute safety check most people get from british gas.

thanks for advice.

My room has good ventilation, vent at floor level, I have CO2 detector.

The pilot light stays on for about an hour, then you can hear an audible click - which is when it goes out. I guess that is the thermo cutting out or failing for whatever reason.

There are so many mixed opinions about BG Vs local contractor on this board......so difficult to take anyones advice. I have went with BG and it will be getting a repair and service and not just a safety check.

thanks for advice.

My room has good ventilation, vent at floor level, I have CO2 detector.

There are so many mixed opinions about BG Vs local contractor on this board......so difficult to take anyones advice. I have went with BG and it will be getting a repair and service and not just a safety check.

You need a detector for CO which is Carbon Monoxide and kills!

Back boilers need to be fully opened up and serviced. BG often only do a safety check and not a full service although that depends a little on who you get. If they are over 45 they are more likely to do a proper service.

There is an air filter in your boiler and this may be half blocked but still give safe flue gas readings. However, being half blocked it will reach the dangerous condition in a shorter time so it should be completely cleaned every year.

As far as I am aware, most independents will do ( and charge for ) a full service. We charge £75 which is probably fairly typical and we allow 1.25 hours.

Tony

Any BBU which has become sooted up is only because the mean owner has risked his own safety by not having it serviced!

We intentionally charge more than our usual rate to make it come to £136 to clean it out and bring it back into safe operation again.

Tony

so mr glazier how much are we going to charge this fella?

We charge £75 which is probably fairly typical and we allow 1.25 hours.

Well I suppose that you charge your usual charges!

We will not deal with a sooted up boiler except at the customer's own risk in respect of dirt getting on any carpets. There is no point in cleaning the boiler for £136 if the customer then expects us to buy him £1000 worth of new carpets!

Its a very messy job and we have to allow about two hours to do it properly and restore it to its original condition. We clear every single fin on the heat exchanger so I dont see that our charge of £136 is at all unreasonable in London.

Tony

There is no point in cleaning the boiler for £136 if the customer then expects us to buy him £1000 worth of new carpets!

us profesionals use dust sheets..

but i keep forgetting you cover London,so anything goes.

PS you really should have stuck that comment in yer combustion chamber.

You clean every single fin.
You mean you do it how it should be done.
Desoot on most back boilers are straight forward and not that much more involved than a proper service . Latex gloves and disposable boiler soot is order of the day. And a proper set of flue brushes
re mess we had one poor guy have the hoover split on him which as it was behind him he never noticed..... New carpet ,3 piece suite, telle curtains an room redocorated. We only took the pi5s for ten years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back