back boiler sounds like a steam train.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just rung British gas about my back boiler I pay a monthly fee to them to cover me for breakdown, but because my heating is working I will be liable for a call out fee! So I'm on here asking if my back boiler is ok.

It's a potterton housewarmer mainflame I'm presuming that's the fire but I don't know where to look for the boiler name it's either a 45 or 55?

When I start the boiler up it lights fine and sounds ok for about 30 seconds but then starts to sound like a steam train chugging along this goes on for about 10 mins and gradually fades away to just a normal sound of a gas boiler, it works fine, doesn't cut out etc and sounds ok after the initial heat up.

Do I need someone to look at it asap or is it something I could wait for until British gas service it in November?

Obviously I understand no one can say yes it's fine to leave until British gas service it in November, I'm just a bit short of cash at moment and for bg to turn round and say that the monthly fee doesn't cover call outs unless the heating has stopped working its something I can't afford at the moment. Any ideas as to what the chugging sound could be?

Sponsored Links
Very difficult to tell from little info, but it could possibly be localised heat exchanger noise. If you hot water etc is heating ok then I would suspect that there is little wrong and would wait until the annual check is due.
Remember this is only a suggestion and if you are really concerned then I'm afraid a call would be the only way to be 100% sure.
Your heat exchanger is cast iron and getting on a bit and noises like you describe are not uncommon.

Could be an auto air vent.

Check the small header tank in the loft or where-ever it's hiding has water init.

Yeah the water is heating fine central heating is totally fine. For an old boiler it's as efficient as ever.

If it is the heat exchanger it won't explode or anything will it?

Also the header tank is that the tank in the airing cupboard for the hot water to be heated if so then yes it's got water in it.

And I have no idea what auto air vent is, is that in theairing cupboard with the tank or is that on the boiler.

I know how to remove the fire fascia as the British gas engineer talked me through the removal last time it was serviced so i could retrieve cattoys, so I did that today and gave everything a quick vacuum, surprisingly no cat toys.

Sponsored Links
The header tank should be in or around the loft, there is likely to be two tanks a big un and a small un, you want the small un.

Right off to get step ladders and torch will post back what I find, I think I know what you are meaning I'm sure I remember seeing a small square tank in loft.

Right I can see the header tank it's quite a way away so if I'm goin up there what should I find, should it have water in it, cause I've just put two and two together I had a leak in the bathroom light fitting a few weeks ago thought it was cause of the rain but now looking at it the header tank is in that location so thinking that might have sprung a leak.

Yes it should have water in it, check the ballvalve at the same time as they do stick over the years.

If the tank is ok it may pay you to turn the boiler on and see whats happening in/around the tank when it starts chuffing.

Everything is fine in the header tank that floating arm thing works ok.

Gonna give em a ring tomorrow see if I can get them to service it early instead I'll lie and say it packed in if that doesn't work lol.

It needs some sentinel x200 in it this will not be covered by your contract

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back