back boiler will not fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Despite being serviced this morning my back boiler (Glow worm I believe) Model 34288U, GG No 37-147-15,Serial No 343201A will not fire up. It was left running when the technician left this morning but the gas was cut (due to cardmeter) but is now restored. Gas and electric reach the appliance.
In front of the boiler is a gas heater that works fine. There is a small knob to turn on the right hand side of this boiler which I believe has something to do with the back boiler. Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Lets start with the basics.

Have you re-lit the pilot light after the gas was cut?
Is the control knob turned up enough?

There is no pilot on this back boiler there is an igniter.
There is a control knob on the side which had a red light next to it yesterday but when I turned it all off and on again this morning after twiddling this knob the red changed to green and the CH started.
But I do not know what made it work(maybe me twiddling the knob). Do you know what this know adjusts?

I cannot find your exact model(picture would have helped) but I suspect the knob you are referring to is the thermostat which controls the boilers output temperature. Have you not got the book on it? You sure you've got the model correct? I've never heard of a 34288U. Back boiler Gc No's start with 44-

Sponsored Links
if it has an ignitor then it has a pilot light, you need to push the button in on the gas valve & press the ignitor until it lights then let the button go slowly

EDIT

just read the MI & it doesn't have an ignitor, turn the boiler control knob to re-set then turn it back round & it should light

It was showing a red flame failure light ( as you had let the gas run out! ).

You then reset it and its all working!

You remind me of those people who manage to run out of petrol on the motorways!

I suppose that you are a tenant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back