Can this back boiler work on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a glow-worm 56 Back Boiler with a glow-worm co-ordinate LFC fire.

The fire takes its gas feed form a three way valve (Boiler, Boiler&Fire,Off)
It's electrical comes from a removable plug into the boiler.

Can the fire be removed, the the way valve capped at the boiler&fire outlet, appropriate covering be instated to shield the boiler?

Sponsored Links
No sorry you must have the fire in place when operating the BBU they share the flue and it is incomplete if the fire is removed

Nick, what part of big NO does not make sense? No means no, you cannot ditch the ugly fire and fit another sice the components you have MUST be in place for either to work safely.

If you have ditched the fire, then you must ditch the boiler and fit new. You cannot fit just about any fire onto the boiler unless it is designed to hitch onto that particluar make and model of back boiler

Sponsored Links
I am interested in knowing if there is an alternate flue collector assembly that would allow the boiler to run without out it.
No, the existing fire/boiler is intended to be used as a complete unit and cannot be altered to do anything else. Don't know how else I can put it!

And what about this bit in the manual "This appliance is certificated to the current issue of BS6332 Part 1 invoking the current issue of BS5258 Part 8 for safety and performance. It is, therefore, important that no alteration is made to it without permission, in writing, from Hepworth Heating Ltd. Any alteration that is not approved by Hepworth Heating Ltd., could invalidate the BSI Certification of the boiler, warranty and could infringe the current issue of the Statutory Requirements".

Surely it depends on the design.

If it's a piece of steel with a simple hole to connect to the front fire flue outlet, a capping piece can simply be welded over the hole.

But how do you know that's what it is?

That's what it might look like. Its actual method of function might be rather more complicated.

And no decent flue engineer would do what you ask, because it would be illegal under the gas safety regs.

Another option has been pointed out to me.

The boiler can be replaced with a similar one that does not require a gas fire front - A conventional back boiler that comes with an electric firefront may do the job as the electric fire is an optional add on. BTW this is not what certain companies have said who insisted the only option was a combi replacement.

This is the guide where you can work out if you are allowed to do this.
http://www.idhee.org.uk/ExceptionsGuide.pdf

The boiler can be replaced with a similar one that does not require a gas fire front - A conventional back boiler that comes with an electric firefront may do the job as the electric fire is an optional add on. BTW this is not what certain companies have said who insisted the only option was a combi replacement.

This is the guide where you can work out if you are allowed to do this.
http://www.idhee.org.uk/ExceptionsGuide.pdf[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I think you have slightly misunderstood (or badly worded the post). The back boiler that is fitted with an electric fire is not a conventional boiler, but a condensing model. The exception criteria therefore does not apply.

To fit a conventional (non condenser) boiler you must, as you say, qualify under your provided criteria guide, but I am fairly sure that there is no current conventional back boiler available.

And you cannot use a BBU without the fire. Regardless of anyone's ability to safely convert the appliance, it would not have been tested and approved by an appropriate test house or body. That is the fairly simple and straightforward answer to your original question.

The boiler can be replaced with a similar one that does not require a gas fire front - A conventional back boiler that comes with an electric firefront may do the job as the electric fire is an optional add on.

If that's the Baxi then the fire front is not an otional add on as it incorporates the control panel for the back boiler in the fire front.

The boiler can be replaced with a similar one that does not require a gas fire front - A conventional back boiler that comes with an electric firefront may do the job as the electric fire is an optional add on.

If that's the Baxi then the fire front is not an otional add on as it incorporates the control panel for the back boiler in the fire front.

Yep, you are right.
I am kicking the pointer for that!

In their defence they did point out that control operates the boiler remotely and is attached to the firefront spacer frame. When commission the boiler the control is connect directly to the boiler.

It does seem dumb that the control could not remain directly connected or even remotely without the electric fire in place.

I think you have slightly misunderstood (or badly worded the post). The back boiler that is fitted with an electric fire is not a conventional boiler, but a condensing model. The exception criteria therefore does not apply.

To fit a conventional (non condenser) boiler you must, as you say, qualify under your provided criteria guide, but I am fairly sure that there is no current conventional back boiler available.

Yes the bbu is condensation and as such does not need to be an exception, it could just be fitted. They have replaced the hideous gas front with a slightly less hideous electric one. It does have the advantage of not needing air intake from the room. I am also fairly sure there is no conventional back boiler, however just a conventional boiler on its own may do, available size permitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back