Broken Glass on old fire and BBU.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have smashed the glass on my old back boilers fire! It is a Glow worm Co ordinate LFL fire with a back boiler.

Is there anywhere I can get a replacement glass? can I get a piece cut to size?

Also I have removed the broken pane of glass. it was held in by 4 clips. Am I allowed to do this without being Corgi registered? And is it safe to leave it like this untill I get it repaired if I don't light the fire?

Here is a photo.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if the glass is broken (well you have taken it out anyway),the fire can not be used,until a replacement glass is fitted.

it would be classed as Immediately Dangerous.

you will pick up a replacement glass from any spares stockist
parts center,hrpc, etc etc

pretty easy to fit.

any doubts about fitting get in a R.G.I

Just a thought!

When I fit the new glass by fastening the 4 clips. Is the glass just there to protect from the flames or does it need to be air tight or something to protect from carbon monoxide?

Thanks.

Usually they have a seal fitted around the inside of the rim,you should see it on the old one.It`s for both reasons.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I just managed to order the glass. A lot of places said that it is obsolete and that I had no chance. But I got the part number from Glow Worm and found some on line. £78 plus VAT plus P$P was the cheapest.

http://www.discountedspares.co.uk/glowworm-424025-glass-panel-assembly-obs

I'll have to be more careful in future. Still I was panicking that I'd have to change it for a combi/condenser. Which is what I plan on doing in a year or two!

Make sure you don't use the bolier either until you have replaced the glass.

The fire forms part of the flue for the boiler and needs to have the glass intact.

Its a bit late now. Iv'e been using it a week!!! :oops:

I will try not to use it any more!

Iv'e got a good quality Carbon Monoxide alarm in the room. I hope the glass will arrive today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back