Backboiler ch/hw problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have recently moved house, went from a flat to a semi, flat had a combi boiler, house has an older back boiler system.

It was fitted in 1998 and is a baxi system with tank in loft, cylinder in bedroom, boiler behind fire.

I have drained the system, used sludge remover, left for a week, drained & filled with a inhibitor, read how to do it on the net, fairly confident with diy stuff or i would ask a pro.

Few questions...

1) This was happening before the clean, but seems to be worse now, can hear air rushing through certain (not all) rads every now & then, why would this be?

2) When the hot water is on, the rad in bathroom & bedroom that has cylinder in heat up, why is this? Is this normal?

3) The same two rads constantly need bleeding every few days, i do this when the system is cold, but its very annoying to have to keep bleeding, i'm assuming air is getting into the system, but a) why only these two, and b) how do i diagnose?

Thanks, any additional info needed, please ask.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
Also there seems to be a ticking / clicking / banging noise under the floor in one place, is this normal?

Its difficult to know exactly what you want to know.

The rads may heat up because they are fitted to the cylinder circuit.

Or there may be a fault with the design.

But without knowing the type of system you have we dont know.

Why not look under the floor and see what is ticking? Could someone have left a clock there?

Tony

What info do you need on the system?

The prev owners decided to laminate every room so looking under the floor boards will take a while.

The main thing i want to know is the procedure for diagnosing the radiators i have to keep bleeding, air is getting in, where is usual place to start looking?

Sponsored Links
The usual way is to start by assessing what kind of system you have.

Why not draw a sketch and post it here?

Tony

Sorry, first time i've done this. You want a sketch of the system, as in where the pipes go, where rads are, etc?

I'm assuming you dont want a sketch of my fire!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back