Bad Management

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many moons ago, when the sun was bright, grass was green and i had hair, some bright spark told me i "had a bad attitude to management."
"I don't have a bad attitude," sez i. "I have an attitude to bad management."

In the Guardian today it reports: Almost one-third of UK workers say they’ve quit a job because of a negative workplace culture, according to a new survey that underlines the risks of managers failing to rein in toxic behaviour. Among those workers who told researchers they had an ineffective manager, one-third said they were less motivated to do a good job – and as many as half were considering leaving in the next 12 months.

The survey, carried out by YouGov, questioned 4,500 workers and managers in the UK. The CMI found that as many as 82% of new managers in the UK are what it calls “accidental managers” – embarking on the role with no formal training in management or leadership.

“Economists have looked at this and they think that something in the order of a third of the difference between us and the most productive countries is down to the quality of management and leadership – right there is the reality.”(y)

Sponsored Links
Many moons ago, when the sun was bright, grass was green and i had hair, some bright spark told me i "had a bad attitude to management."
"I don't have a bad attitude," sez i. "I have an attitude to bad management."

In the Guardian today it reports: Almost one-third of UK workers say they’ve quit a job because of a negative workplace culture, according to a new survey that underlines the risks of managers failing to rein in toxic behaviour. Among those workers who told researchers they had an ineffective manager, one-third said they were less motivated to do a good job – and as many as half were considering leaving in the next 12 months.

The survey, carried out by YouGov, questioned 4,500 workers and managers in the UK. The CMI found that as many as 82% of new managers in the UK are what it calls “accidental managers” – embarking on the role with no formal training in management or leadership.

“Economists have looked at this and they think that something in the order of a third of the difference between us and the most productive countries is down to the quality of management and leadership – right there is the reality.”(y)

I suppose that also applies to bad leaders and Government.

Anthony Painter, the CMI’s director of policy, said improving the performance of UK managers is crucial to preventing toxic workplace cultures developing, where bad behaviour goes unchecked.

“This stuff is dragging down businesses, dragging down the economy, and also stymying the ability of public services to do what we need them to do,” he said. He added: “In any skilled area of modern work, you would expect people in positions of competence to receive at least minimal training. You want your plumbers to be trained, you want your cybersecurity people to be trained – well the same is true of managers.

Unions have reported a rapid increase in the use of surveillance software and other remote monitoring technology, as managers have sought to oversee staff from a distance. The TUC’s head of economics and employment rights, Nicola Smith, urged managers to work with unions to navigate such challenges, adding: “If we want to see more great management across the economy, government needs to lift the bar. [Better that than standing at it all day.]

The clue is in the title.

Grant Shapps as Defence Secretary. :oops:

I think he is more reflective that Rishi doesn't want anyone around him who he can't control or will undermine him - Shapps fits the bill.

Sponsored Links
Any employer of any significant size would be daft not to train managers, in at least the basics. But 82% being so called accidental managers, is surely a good thing? It means the management team have experience of the job, rather than being professional managers.

Probably a large factor is that many these days object to someone telling them that they have to put their phone down and actually do some work.

Impossible to tell, there are definitely many with a bad attitude to good management, who would tell a survey that they were being treated terribly.

I think he is more reflective that Rishi doesn't want anyone around him who he can't control or will undermine him - Shapps fits the bill.

Possibly, but any PM also needs their secretaries to toe the official line, and stay "on message".

Any employer of any significant size would be daft not to train managers, in at least the basics. But 82% being so called accidental managers, is surely a good thing? It means the management team have experience of the job, rather than being professional managers.
When Ten Hag makes a horlicks of the United job maybe they should put the post up for public lottery in that case.
Couldn't do any worse according to you.

Too many people happy to have the title "manager " without enough training and/ or reward.

Bad management is why I went self employed. And I wouldn't go back.

Sponsored Links
Back