balancing hot & cold water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into an old house and as usual there are many things that need sorting.

We have a mains pressure water tank that needs replacing, and I have noticed the cold water feed in to the house does not use the balanced cold output from the PRV.

So at the taps (and shower) in the house we have full mains pressure on cold and 2-3 bar (whatever PRV is set at) on the hot.

We have had a couple of plumbers round to quote for replacing the mains pressure tank and I asked them to include taking the cold feed into the house from the balanced port on the PRV. Should be easy enough as the mains 'Ts' off to the PRV and the house right by the tank. One plumber said this was ok, whilst the other told me this is not advisable as it would mean the kitchen tap (drinking water) comes off the balanced port. Is this acceptable?

As an alternative I suggested having a separate PRV on the cold feed into the house set at the same pressure as the mains hot tank PRV........

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
You only want to cold feed any mix in the body (monobloc) mixer taps/shower from the balanced feed after the PRV to the Unvented HW to avoid any issues with one overpowering the other. Feeding the kitchen tap from the balanced supply is no issue, as it is still mains cold water. If you have individual pillar taps or dual flow taps (mix in the spout) then you can feed them straight from the mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back