Balancing radiator issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm attempting to balance my radiators for the first time. i.e. first time I've ever done this.

I know the theory, and the order of the radiators, I have a digital multimeter with temp sensor.

So the radiators are cold, all valves are open, first radiator I close the lock shield and turn the heating on. I can't seem to get a 12 degree difference. Both the valve end and the lock shield end of the radiator appear to heat up equally to the same temp.

I have the same problem with the second radiator.

How does one handle this situation?

Sponsored Links
how long are you allowing for the temperature difference to become apparent?

Sponsored Links
how long are you allowing for the temperature difference to become apparent?

Well I waited a few mins. But I've been waiting all night too and I keep going back to check.

Just check again now. 49 on one side, 46 on the other and the lock valve is only slightly open.

Is 49 as hot as the flow gets ? Should be much hotter than that.

andytw

Is 49 as hot as the flow gets ? Should be much hotter than that.

andytw

No it gets hotter than that. I think 55 - 60 it went to, I've lost my piece of paper with my measurements.

The boiler is set at 75 flow, however even the pipe comping out of the boiler doesn't read higher than 60. I wouldn't expect the pipe to read 75 though - the pipe will have some thermal resistance.

Anyway, from what I read - they said don't focus on the temperature as an optimum figure, what's important is the difference. Is that correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back