Balcony posts to fibre glass roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking for a little advice. We've had some work done and I'm not convinced it was done correctly and want to sort before it becomes a problem.
We had a fibreglass flat roof installed and balcony posts around the edge. The posts seem to be screwed down with sealant underneath.
Does anyone know how they should be sealed to the fibreglass to make sure of no leaking.
Many thanks in advance.
Paul

Sponsored Links
Are the posts protruding through the roof finish or fixed to the edge of the roof, your post doesn't make it clear. Got some pics?

Are the posts protruding through the roof finish or fixed to the edge of the roof, your post doesn't make it clear. Got some pics?
Thanks for the reply. They are bolted straight to the edge of the fibreglass roof. Hope the pics make it a bit clearer.
Thanks

Attachments

• 16673712972717326954358090070848.jpg
    16673712972717326954358090070848.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 16673713981648326323049245844235.jpg
    16673713981648326323049245844235.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 90
Those caps should just lift off, or might need some gentle persuasion, what does it look like underneath them? Has the fixing detail and the roof structure been designed for balcony posts or has the builder made it up?

Sponsored Links
Those caps should just lift off, or might need some gentle persuasion, what does it look like underneath them? Has the fixing detail and the roof structure been designed for balcony posts or has the builder made it up?
It's got bolts in to the post and straight into the roof. I think there may be normal sealant under the post itself. It was definitely made up by the builder. I don't think the roof was designed for it. I'll try and get a pic of underneath when I get home later.
Thanks for taking a look.

Hmm, anyway is it leaking? Ignoring whether it's a structurally sound fixing or not, if it were me I'd have lapped the fiberglass up the balustrade a little and then fitted a shroud over it all, you can see in this pic this is what they've done but haven't fitted the shroud yet. The PDF I linked to shows the right detail. But obviously doesn't look as slick.

img_20190601_130659.jpg

https://polyroof.co.uk/wp-content/u...4-185-GRP-Tubular-Pipe-Penetration-Detail.pdf

The web is littered with pics of fixings just like yours with no shroud but not sure how they've been done, other than a splodge of sealant underneath and hoping for the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back