ball valves...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dead simple one this (i hope) - I replaced our pump and valves because the pump was dead and the valves were peeing out water. Replaced the valves with pegler ball valves.

How do you open a ball valve? They have a little tap-like thing on them, but i can't turn them...? The tap is perpendicular to the pipe direction at the moment.

Is this mebe a stupid question? do ball valves actually stop flow, or do they do something else entirely?

Sponsored Links
The valves do indeed stop the flow.

What do you mean by a tap-like thing? Is it a round shaft with a square on the last 1/4 of its length? If so, get a correctly fitting spanner or a correctly adjusted adjustable wrench, and carefully attempt to turn the shaft ANTI-clockwise.

Cheers for the reply softus.

Ok so I'm not being so stupid then. Yes it sounds similar to what you described, it's a little piece of metal about 1cm high - it's not got a square on the end, though. I tried turning it anti-clockwise to open, but it didn't go. I thought there might be some trick to it, and was scared of breaking it off.

I'll try again when i get home - ta.

Cheers for the reply softus.

Ok so I'm not being so stupid then. Yes it sounds similar to what you described, it's a little piece of metal about 1cm high - it's not got a square on the end, though. I tried turning it anti-clockwise to open, but it didn't go. I thought there might be some trick to it, and was scared of breaking it off.

I'll try again when i get home - ta.

Sponsored Links
No offence meant, but I'm completely lost by your description:

"tap-like thing" / "little piece of metal about 1cm high"

Any chance of posting a photo on this topic?

Ball valves are operated by a quarter turn (90 degrees), sometimes in both directions, sometimes in one direction only.

The key of the ball valve may be a recessed slot (to turn with screwdriver) or a raised bar (to turn with a spanner) or a recessed hexagon (to turn with Allen key). The key will indicate whether the valve is open or shut according to whether the slot/bar is across or in line with the line of the pipe/valve.

That's easy!
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/87/p1809387_l.jpg
p1809387_l.jpg

I keep a 4" adjustable on my swiss-knife/torch/rad vent key ring, ideal for those!

ChrisR said:
That's easy!
Oh b*gger - I'd forgotten about the raised bar type. If only I'd bothered to look in my pv box...

apologies for the stupid idea... but could you have fitted the valves so the open/close spindle end is facing down and not readily visible? They'll rotate if you slacked them off at both ends.

Oooh.. I missed all these posts - looks like the forum forgot to send me email alerts.

Aye that photo is spot on what I've got. Ok my description was a bit vague not knowing the terminology and all, but I went back after all the advice and turned the spindles a quarter turn - and the system works fine.

The reason why I posted was because they were so stiff that it felt like I was going to break the spindle off when I tried to turn it. Having never used ball valves before I thought it better to ask...

Cheers guys ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back