Banging from Worcester 19/24CBI conventional boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, as our boiler starts to heat water it bangs a lot, waking my daughter in bedroom above. Water heating is good, nice and hot. We are in a hardwater area, could this be a firred up heat exchanger or simply air in the system?

I notice less banging as the water warms up.

Cheers, Tony

Sponsored Links
Usually the heat exchanger with the CBI. Powerflushing may help otherwise book Worcester Bosch to replace it. Cheaper if they do it.

Thank you Prime Minister :) So despite having a british gas homecare, whilst they're out its more efficient to call on WB? I appreciate that homecare won't cover stuff affected by limescale.

Thank you Prime Minister :) So despite having a british gas homecare, whilst they're out its more efficient to call on WB? I appreciate that homecare won't cover stuff affected by limescale.

you didn't say that you had homecare, before WB was recommended.

Sponsored Links
U r right. What i mean is, British gas could charge more than WB, and be less efficient. I'm pretty sure the exchanger won't be covered if its a limescale prob. Just wonder whether to trust British Gas

So BG won't cover my system as it is not configured per normal standard, and the cold feed is the wrong way around allowing air into system. They have quoted £250 to correct this, another plumber has offered a pressurised system instead for same outlay. Wonder which is best option please?

I would usually suggest sealing system rather than altering the config, however, worcester's cbi boilers, is my opinion, was probably the worst they've ever made and I wouldn't trust it to hold water under pressure!

Oh dear, really? Ok, I'll go with BG suggestion but perhaps the labour of a local respected plumber. Many thanks

Hi all, i meant to reply all that time ago and provide feedback. BG sorted out system out to prevent drawing in air from the header tank. This worked to relieve the noise from the boiler, however unfortunately i guess the air/water mix had done irreparable damage to the heat exchanger and it was so rusty that two months later it began to leak. Now running a replacement boiler and getting it serviced every year :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back