Banging heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It\\\'s driving me crazy!
Heating system has recently started banging.
It is a combi bolier. Two raditors (bathroom and toilet) are fully open at all time, all other radiators have trvs. When heating comes on get an infrequent tapping noise which you could convince yourself are expansion noises, but don\\\'t recall them occuring before. Can live with them if must. Then after about 10-15 minutes of being on a much louder tapping would start, initally 10 seconds or so apart, but quickly increasing in frequency until it is continuous, and then it would stop suddenly. 2 minutes later it would start again. Really loud at 6am and in a quiet house! Covered by British Gas 3*, thought great, get them to sort. Within 2 minutes of me explaining suggested it was because a multiflow trv was fitted vertically on a return flow, value was not closing or opening correctly and value internals bouncing causing the noise.Oh, and that it was not covered. Accepted and set about planning to switch. Then started to wonder why now, been on for years, so isolated radiator by closing of trv and other value entirely. Problem still occurs. Today have closed off all raditors (bar the 2 without trv) and not banging. Opened a couple fully (so trv could not close) banging started. I did not open the one that had the trv on the return, that remained fully closed. So, a few rads fully open and a few fully closed and still banging. Think the BG guy spun me one there. Really puzzled ... and desparate. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back