Banging pipes and no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, really hoping someone can help me as I’m a complete novice.

I moved into a house over a year ago. The house has an open fire, and oil heating.

however if we have the fire lit or oil heating on it has never heated the water. Every day we would need to switch on the electrical socket in the kitchen if we wanted hot water. However this has put our energy bill up by unbelievable amounts. So I’m keen to see if there is an easy fix to all this.

So I’ll start with the fire. Every time we lite it and pull out the damper, you can hear the roar as it is pulled up the back, but within 5 or 10 minutes the banging from every pipe in the house is unreal, it actually scares us as we think something is about to blow up. So we always push it back in for fear of what might happen if we leave it pulled out.

The oil heating heats the radiators no problem but doesn’t seem to heat the water, now if we leave the oil heating on for an hour, one of us might be lucky enough to have just enough Luke warm water for a 3-4 minute shower.

I have attached two pictures to this post. The first picture shows two pipes going into the hot press tank, now both of these valves are fully open.
On the second picture, this pipe is coming down from the loft and doesn’t seem to be connected to the hot press tank at all, it runs from loft straight down through the floor boards, again their is a valve on it but this is fully closed. Tonight when the pipes were banging like crazy after I pulled damper out from having fire lit (no oil heating on) I have to confess that I opened this valve and heard water gushing down it from the loft and the pipe became scalding hot so I quickly closed it again incase I do any damage. So clearly the fire is heating the water tank in loft, but I’m confused as to why this water is not making its way to the taps?
I am considering getting a plumber out, but don’t want to be hit with a big bill (never called one before but heard horror stories of plumbing bills, even though they may be online myths), so I’m posting here in the hope that some of you may have any advice. Especially if these valves are in the correct positions.

Attachments

• DFF355B0-830C-4077-91E3-202B8A696B0D.jpeg
    DFF355B0-830C-4077-91E3-202B8A696B0D.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 3A1ABF5C-18C6-4589-A1B7-B79A69BC7A62.jpeg
    3A1ABF5C-18C6-4589-A1B7-B79A69BC7A62.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 253
Sponsored Links
Deaglan, good evening.

Your post above is descriptive but possibly alarming, if the fire is capable of heating the "back boiler" [when you pull out the damper] but the back boiler has no water in it there is a chance of an explosion !

What MAY??? be happening is that the fire has a small rectangular metal box that "should" be filled with water, that in turn appears to be heating the rads??

Can I suggest that you bite the bullet and get a competent plumber in to check over the system and advise you on how to use it?

Hi Ken, damn you have me petrified now lol. Maybe your right pal and maybe a plumber needs to be called

Sponsored Links
Deaglan, good evening, again.

I have seen on very, very, very rare occasions where the back boiler has either over heated, and caused damage to things like washing machines where very hot water caused the machine to [almost] melt??

Seriously, if the "Back Boiler" is indeed dry with little or no water in it it can actually explode.

Suggest you call in a reputable plumber as above, the system may??? have been drained of, in part if the property was left empty for some time prior to your purchase??

Sorry if I have alarmed you but, better safe than Hospital food or no home??

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back