Base hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im due to have a wood stove installed in my fireplace. The person doing the site visit thought that the base hearth is damp and suggested redo it. I have never done it before so I'd appreciate some advice. THe way i thought of doing it is to dig up the cracked top portion of the hearth, lay a DMP and recast the hearth. Is that the way to do this? What's the sand/cement ration for this kinda job

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What kind of damp proofing are you thinking of using as the hearth you have is a constructional hearth and it needs to be a minimum of 125mm thick (off the top of my head), and if the damp proof is possibly flammable then I guess it would be a no-no to have it sandwiched in between.

Is there any chance you could remove the old hearth and lay the damp proof lower down?

What kind of damp proofing are you thinking of using as the hearth you have is a constructional hearth and it needs to be a minimum of 125mm thick (off the top of my head), and if the damp proof is possibly flammable then I guess it would be a no-no to have it sandwiched in between.

Is there any chance you could remove the old hearth and lay the damp proof lower down?
Yes. I thought of removing as much of the existing constructional hearth as can, layi down DPM and recasting new concrete on top of it (level it with the wooden floor). Or should i forget the DPM and add a waterproofer e.g. like http://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-1-waterproofer-5ltr/34457 What would you advise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back