Baseboard heater leak at bleeder valve...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baseboard radiator that is leaking about 1 drip / sec, discovered as you might expect by very wet carpets. The leak is dripping from a ~ 1/2" nut / screw combo that I assume is the air bleeder (?). The nut itself is on the exterior top front end of the radiator panel, and not on the elbow supply pipe (I've seen some valves right on the pipes themselves, I think).

The screw itself is substantially rusted, so that seems consistent w/ a failing valve.

My questions are:

1) How easy a DIY?

2) How to do it. System is all one floor, which I think would minimize drainage if I take out the valve.

3) Parts readily available?

4) Risks. One I can imagine is I take out the valve only to discover that whatever receives the valve is equally or worse corroded thus necessitating a more involved repair and disabling the heating for days (because at that point I can't replace the valve for the leak would be too bad).

Thanks for any input,

- TK

Sponsored Links
If you can isolate the section (valve at each end) repair will be easy. Posting a picture of problem area will help.

Baseboard comprise (if I am correct) a pipe with fins (where a skirting would be) to radiate heat. Metal cover hides the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back