Removing a sheared bleeder valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a double rad at home, with the bleeders in recessed holes between the 2 radiator chambers. One of them is completely sheared (all the square edges rounded off) and a normal rad key won't grip it at all any more. The bleeder is just slightly open, but no tool I own will move it at all.
I have a spare bleed screw I just need to get this one out.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get it out? Access is very tight as the bleed screw is recessed, and between the 2 radiator chambers, so I only have about 1 3/4" gap. I also don't think there's enough of a flat edge left on it anywhere to grip with a small spanner, even if I had one that would fit.
Is there any kind of tiny wrench that would go into this kind of gap?

My only other option is to throw the rad which I'm reluctant to do!
Any advice appreciated,
Matt

Sponsored Links
just cut a hole through the middle, so I could put a screwdriver blade in.
Fail.
bleed split in 2.
now wondering if there's any way to drill it out with such tight access.
Looking awfully like a new rad...
I certainly won't be buying one with this kind of bleed valve...
:(

I don't like your chances of repairing that. Access is impossible to drill the screw out (the rear one is not so bad)
Looking more like a new rad to me, unless others have another suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Drill, then stud remover tool

Tony, that is a double panel (Stelrad I think) and the type where the bleed screw is behind the front panel, between that and the rear panel.
What sort of drill do you suggest?

If you can't get a drill in mate then call it a day......your move cutting a screwdriver slot in the thing was a good one....very bad luck.
John :)

Araldite won't work, tried it too many times, afraid to say, by the time you've faffed about, you could put on a new rad. If you really didn't want to replace it, you could drill the rad at the front, tap the hole and that way you could have a visible bleed screw, done that a couple of times, but not pretty, cheap easy route though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back