basecoat to paint issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After damp treatment, I waited for two months and then started decorating by flat.

1. First I put filler in the joint crack between the old plaster and the new after the damp treatment.
2. Then put Polycell 3 in 1 basecoat (suppose to cover imperfections and prevent cracks)
3. Checked and put more filler in places all around the walls
4. Sanded again (using a Bosch sanding machine) and put 1st coat Farrow Ball
5. Still some minor imperfections, filler, sanded again and 2nd coat of Farrow Ball

Problems
After the 2nd coat of paint, over the places I used last filler between the two coats the paint cracked a bit and pilled of in some places. (most problems appear on the chimney wall that supposed to be the focal point and tried to cover every small imperfection)

6. Cleared with a knife the last layers of filler under the pilled off paint put new filler again and made new patches on top with the basecoat.

7. tried to put new layer of basecoat on the chimney wall so as to look as good as possible.

More problems
The basecoat would stick on the base coat patches but would peal of over the paint…now it looks like patches of normal and textured finish on the chimney wall.

Any ideas what caused the first problem and what to do now with the new problems?

Many thanks in advance

PS: I tried to make as good as possible the chimney wall and I managed to make it worst…

Sponsored Links
Maybe i'm being thick, but i don't understand what your saying, no offence but i'm guessing English isn't your first language. From what i can make out you havn't primed your filler and i reckon (tho never used it) basecoat needs priming to (open to correction on that).
Only other thing that crosses my mind is that there is still damp in the walls but 'damp treatment' could be a myriad of things, you'll have to be more specific.

Also farrow and ball isnt the easiest to apply, little green is better if your after 'that look'.

Maybe i'm being thick, but i don't understand what your saying, no offence but i'm guessing English isn't your first language.

Not really sure why you think that. :confused: The post is a little long-winded I suppose and I needed to read it twice to figure it out. ;)

It does just sound as though the filler wasn't primed and the first coat of F&B began to lift on application of the second.

If so, fill, sand, remove all traces of dust, prime the filler (slightly watered down emulsion is usually all that's required) and hopefully you will find that the paint adheres better.

Just doesn't read well (to me anyway), maybe i've just had a long day Mr H

Sponsored Links
Well I have read through the orginal post a few times, and i'm sorry, but I cannot get the gist of it.

Dec

Well I have read through the orginal post a few times, and i'm sorry, but I cannot get the gist of it.

Dec

Basically, I think svouts basecoated the walls, filled and sanded imperfections and applied 1st coat of F&B. Filled some more imperfections that this showed up and added the 2nd coat of F&B which 'cracked and pilled' in patches. The patches were removed, re-filled and basecoated and then the whole chimney basecoated over the F&B. The basecoat didn't stick to the F&B which has left a very uneven finish on the chimney.

That's how I read it and is the reason why I gave the cause/solution I did.

Apologies if I've got it wrong svouts! :confused:

Well as I said I cant really make head nor tail of it, all I can guess and it is a guess at this time is there may be some form of reaction regarding either one or more of the products used.

Dec

Hi, yes I am not native speaker and also I am new into home decoration DIY.

In few words, I used some filler between the two F&B coats to cover last imperfections. Then sanded it with a sanding power tool and applied the second coat. The paint developed small spider cracks on top of the filler areas.

Why did it happen?

I have now removed and put new filler and then basecoat on these areas.

did you soak the deeper gaps with water before filling? did you apply the filler in one go or apply thin coats a layer at a time? did you prime the filler before painting? is the filler past its best before date? any one of these could be the cause of the cracking

The problem occurred only when I corrected minor imperfections with very thin layer of filler between 1st and 2nd paint coat…I did not prime the filler. I have also sanded it with a sanding power tool using very fine sandpaper (180).

Apart for not priming the filler, could it be that the sanding was too fine so the paint did not stick on the filler?

Is it OK to use a power tool for sanding the filler?

Many thanks for helping!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back